Graph Tech String Savers: opinions?

Eye_Of_The_Liger

• Members

Originally posted by leftystratman

sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was going to post a similar thread! I break strings all the time. I bend like crazy and vibrato each note. hehe.

so are String Savers as good as they claim to be?

is there also something like the String Savers for LP type bridge?

I considered buying some SS saddles for my Jag. I've since reconsidered, for reasons concerning grounding issues on my particular Jag. But I can say that they DO in fact make replacement saddles you can drop into your Tune-O-Matic bridge.

• Members

I put a set on a Greco strat copy. It has a maple neck and Rio Grande pups. The guitar was very trebly and bright sounding, but when i put on the Graph_techs, they actually changed the tone of the guitar.. It's darker sounding now, more balanced.

• Members
Originally posted by Karma1

My experience with them has been very positive. I put a set on my Strat about five years ago and have never broken a string since.

+1, except its been about 8yrs. best thing i ever did to a guitar.

graph-techs were also helpful in showing me that the tuners are never the issue. even with old generic no-name tuners on the same strat, it stays tuned perfectly throughout a set of townsendian bashing/etc.

it did change the tone just slightly, and as Ramblin encountered, it was a slight darkening. not enough to make me adjust anything at the amp, mind you, but it was like somebody had turned down my amp's presence knob 1/5th of a notch.

of course, knowing that i could tear into the strings without any tunage/breakage issues, that probably did something for my tone, too ;):thu:

• Members

Dammit, now you guys are making me reconsider getting this. I'll have to drill and run a new ground wire to my tailpeice, but the tuning stablity and darker sound were why I was considering these in the first place. I have actually NEVER broken a string on my jag, and I'm pretty rough with strumming chords and bending. It was the tuning stability I was after.

• Members

Originally posted by Pungent

..... It was the tuning stability I was after.

like i said, even with the generics on there, and smashing away as i sometimes do, tuning stability is now a complete non-issue on that strat.

now granted, stringing technique and a well-cut nut are crucial parts of the equation too, but the graph-techs made me never question this quitar (and its cheap-ass tuners) again.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

graph-techs were also helpful in showing me that the tuners are never the issue...

Funny that you say that, I was also thinking of getting a set of Sperzels, but wondering if it was worth it, especially considering that I'm also thinking of getting a teflon nut as well.

• Members

i play pretty hard and have not broken a string in quite a few years, but was having nut issues and got the graph-tec trem nut.

all i can say is if the saddles are as good as the nut, then you should be good to go. no tuning issues, and using the trem moderately (fender 2 point) i get nice smooth action with no signs of tension or hangups. best of all, i dont use any lube/nut sauce/graphite and it works better than using those lubes on a stock nut, with nothing on it!

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

Funny that you say that, I was also thinking of getting a set of Sperzels, but wondering if it was worth it, especially considering that I'm also thinking of getting a teflon nut as well.

get the other stuff and get/have things set up, and then see if the Sperzels are still necessary.

as fishfartz pointed out, if nut and saddles are all in order....

i wouldnt have believed it myself, but....

• Members

I use the graph tech saddles on both Les Pauls and Fenders. I havent broken a string on my tele in 10 years, at the bridge. I also use the Sperzels. I like them because you dont have a complete winding on the peg. The get in tune VERY fast and decrease the break in time of the string, for instance, if I string it today and play for 10 to 15 minutes, Im ready for the show without going out of tune every song. Best upgrades I ever made.

Archived