Mailing list / fanreach (reverbnation)

Poker99

• Members

Are any of you guys handling a mailing list?

I have one on reverbnation. There is a stat called "click-thru" which measures how many people click on links into the email.

I get between 10-20% click-thru with my emails. An email with a link to a new song had a 22% rate. That means 78% of my mailing lists subscribers didn't even care about my new song.

Most people don't even care, even those who took the time to join my list...

:facepalm:

• Members

I don't think the real problem is laziness on the general public's part. As a voracious consumer of new music, I can tell you fan's (fan's who buy, I might add) know exactly where to find stuff they like. It's always from trusted sources. Many times it's referrals from friends (real life and online) and blogs. The reason lots of aspiring musicians aren't getting traction is because 1.) quality issues 2.) obliviousness to the culture surrounding music fandom in today's world.

I bought four albums today alone just a little while ago. I merely caught wind that there was a new Deerhoof album - upon which time I immediately hurried over to Amazon to buy the mp3 album (Deerhoof can do no wrong). While I was there I picked up the new Magnus Moriarty (fantastic!), the new Iron and Wine (superb!) and finally got around to buying Big K.R.I.T.'s Big K.R.I.T. Wuz Here after hearing some friends of mine raving about him for a while (along with Curren$y) and then reading a feature on him over at Soulbounce. After I went to Youtube and heard "Children of the World" I was hooked. Yes, Youtube - where music lives. If an artist doesn't have a youtube presence with readily available songs to peruse - that artist's chances of me spending money on him/her is very slim. People are just as fanatical about music as always - probably ever more-so now. You've just got to go where they're at. They will support you if you're producing something they believe in.

Digital music and the proliferation of crappy wannabes hasn't cheapened music, it made the good stuff all that more valuable.

- A (paying) Fan

Archived