Copyright issues when recording live shows/rehearsal

• Members

Ok, so when you make a recording, anyone who is on that recording, is equal owner of the material unless you write a contract out stating otherwise. Does this mean that every single person that can be heard on a live recording owns that recording? That seems pretty weird if so, and how would you deal with that? You can't expect every single person in the building to sign a release before or after the show. I'm guessing there's some kind of exception to this rule? I write all of my music 100%, so I guess this means I will at least have to get my side musicians to sign something stating they do not own these recordings, right?

• Moderators

Ummm...huh? No...not exactly.

But, when you perform and plan to record, you really need to get a release form signed by everone in attendance, particularly if there will be video shot. You may not use someone's image without their permission.

Ownership of the actual recorded performance theoretically belongs to those performing, or that should be contractually agreed upon prior, but ownership of the IP (songs) is retained by the authors.

Archived