Best 335 Knock-off?

IAmAScientist

• Members

Ok, so I want to buy a 335 knockoff. I've checked out the Epiphone 335's, but they're still in the 500-600 dollar price range. There are several copies being sold on ebay. Among them are a Stellar, an Aria, a Vox, a few Jay Tursers, and many others. My question to you is, have any of you played any 335 copies and if so, could you give me some feedback on the quality of the brands? Assume that I'm going to switch out the pups. Thanks.

• Members

You can get a Washburn HB-30 or the HB-30/DL (flamed maple top/back/sides) for around $200 or so on eBay all day long.

I had the DL version...it was pretty decent, but did require a bit of setup work to get it dialed in.

You could spend a little more and get the Washburn HB-35 also.

And, of course, there's always the Ibanez Artcores...and the Hamer Echotones.

Obviously, you don't want to spend $500-$600...what do you want to spend?

• Members

A lot of people think the Yamahas are one of the best copies even though they are not correct copies. If money is an issue, I would look at one of the Agile AS820's. They don't look exactly like the 335's either but they are a great bang for buck guitar. I got one of the original ones before they changed the body style which looks very close to the real thing. It is a beautiful axe and a great player. Those can be had for around $300 still, I believe.

• Members

Originally posted by Dean Medlock

You can get a Washburn HB-30 or the HB-30/DL (flamed maple top/back/sides) for around $200 or so on eBay all day long.

I had the DL version...it was pretty decent, but did require a bit of setup work to get it dialed in.

You could spend a little more and get the Washburn HB-35 also.

And, of course, there's always the Ibanez Artcores...and the Hamer Echotones.

Obviously, you don't want to spend $500-$600...what do you want to spend?

Less. I have an Epiphone SG that I was planning on fixing up, but I'm starting to think about just getting a different, similarly priced guitar and trying to sell the SG. I was thinking also about firebird copies. I just don't want to get a copy guitar off of ebay, pull it out and find that its crap to play. Its just too hard to know. Let's say I'm looking to spend 300 max.

• Members

Originally posted by HMCMedic

Epiphone DOT Studio, around 300 bucks.

11epi-dot1.jpg

Not very good IMO. The 2 I contemplated were just not very good feeling and numerous flaws around the f holes. I settled on the AFS 75 td.

RIMG0007.jpg

But what about this well under you're budget and similar build quality to the Dot Studio at half the price? Only it a Bolt on

http://www.music123.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-i115816.music

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

Awesome, but not cheap. Come on, I know there are bunch of you people out there who only buy cheapo guitars. Any of you ever played a Stellar brand guitar?

I own 3 Stellars and they are fantastic. I play them more than my Gibbies and Fenders. They feel great, excellent finishes, all staaaay in tune forever, IMO, best guitars for the money.

I also have 2 Sanatogas, strat and tele, they're pretty good knock-offs, but I have to give the quality edge to Stellar. They are just impeccable.

My son is a guitar snob, but after playin my cheapos for a while, he asked me to buy him the Stellar 335 for his birthday.

• Members

Originally posted by blues_rocker

there are none...save your money

I really agree with blues_rocker. I think that it's easier to be lucky with a cheap solid body than with a cheap semi hollow because obviously there is more workmanship involved in the constrution of a semi. The really cheap semis that I tried (more out of curiosity because I was not on a tight budget when I shopped for one) were all very poorly made and sounded thin and dead acoustically.

What you get at that price is the LOOK of a semi acoustic (but then maybe that's what you are after?) without the real qualities that people look for in this type of instrument. It is possible that some are decent in that price range but I wish you good luck in finding one.

Check out Jerry's list of thread on this subject. They are very informative.

Archived