why ES-335 is humming?

xxxpilot

• Members

Hi all!

I've just gotten a beautiful brand new 335 dot satin!

But there is a strange thing going on when I crank up the amp to high gain:

when I have both pickups engaged, the humming is as usual, but when I select only one (either one), the buzz noticeably insreases.

Sounds like they can only humback each other, but not themselves

My LP and friend's SG don't do that at all.

But when I brought it back to the store, they checked other 335's and they all did that (maybe to a slightly lesser extend).

So, they did nothing for me, even confirming that LP's and SG's don't do that.

On the top of it, humming increases when I play with tone and volume (move them out of 10). LP doesn't do that either.

Is there any mod which can solve this problem?

Thanks a lot:wave:

• Members

If I wasn't satisfied with the answer I got from the first place ...........I would take it someplace else and have it checked out .

If you bought the guitar new make sure you take it to an authorized Gibson Warranty Repair Center. . If they find a problem they will fix it for free . All you need is your sales receipt .

I have read a few posts of people complaining that it's impossible to get warranty work done........But I have actually done it and it wasn't a big deal . Just took about a week or two to get the guitar back .

• Members

My Gibson ES-335 does not have this problem and is as quiet as any of my Gibson Les Pauls with humbuckers. My ES-330 does have a bit of hum but that is to be expected as they are single coil P90's and not humbuckers.

Several years ago I did have a problem with humbuckers humming in a 1990's Epiphone Les Paul standard. I rewired and resoldered it and the problem went away.

• Members

What is "Because it's a Gibson" Alex. I'll take "Why Gibson's QA sucks" for $200 Alex.

Sounds like you have a wiring problem. A little while back I was in my guitar techs shop (he's the local Gibson Authorized repair guy) and he had not one, not two, not three, not four, but five brand spaking new Gibsons all with toggle switches that didn't work. How the fu@# did those get through QA?

• Members

OMFGBBQWTF a faulty 3$ switch that can fail at any time on any guitar regardless of company of manufacture especialy since most companies outsource those parts and many companies use the same ones :)

People just freak out more when theres something wrong with their Gibson because they cost more. On a cheaper guitar they are more inclined to just live with it or fix it themselves.:) A lot of times the toggle switch just doesnt make perfect contact, and you dont even have to replace it, just clean it, bend the metal a bit so it does make contact, check your wires to make sure they are soldered properly, and you are good to go.

To the original poster, just check over your wiring, however if you are not inclined to do so, especialy since its a little trickier on semihollows, just take it in and have them service it, its no big deal.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

OMFGBBQWTF a faulty 3$ switch that can fail at any time on any guitar regardless of company of manufacture especialy since most companies outsource those parts and many companies use the same ones
:)

People just freak out more when theres something wrong with their Gibson because they cost more. On a cheaper guitar they are more inclined to just live with it or fix it themselves.
:)
A lot of times the toggle switch just doesnt make perfect contact, and you dont even have to replace it, just clean it, bend the metal a bit so it does make contact, check your wires to make sure they are soldered properly, and you are good to go.

To the original poster, just check over your wiring, however if you are not inclined to do so, especialy since its a little trickier on semihollows, just take it in and have them service it, its no big deal.

Only Gibson would use a $3 switch. Most companies would use a $12 one! :D

Yes switches fail, and yes any company can get a bad batch, but these guitars were brand new, unsold, as they came from the factory and had passed QA. There's no way all 5 switches crapped out after they left the factory - I don't buy that for a second.

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

Only Gibson would use a $3 switch. Most companies would use a $12 one!
:D

Yes switches fail, and yes any company can get a bad batch, but these guitars were brand new, unsold, as they came from the factory and had passed QA. There's no way all 5 switches crapped out after they left the factory - I don't buy that for a second.

Ahh but how many guitars left the factory that day? The problem with Gibson is that they want us to believe that we are buying a unique small production guitar that has recieved special attention. What we really buy is mass manufactured product like any other. It just happens to be one I like, I love Gibson's but I am very realistic about their shortcomings.

• Members

Originally posted by sandfly

In one of those Gibson factory tour video that was posted on the forum .........The Gibson rep said they could produce 250 guitars a day max .

Thats not too bad, but its still big production in comparison to say Hamer and G&L dont they make something like 2-5 per day? Just sayin the more product, the more faulty product thats out there, but as a percentage, its still quite small and very acceptable.

• Members

Thats not too bad, but its still big production in comparison to say Hamer and G&L dont they make something like 2-5 per day? Just sayin the more product, the more faulty product thats out there, but as a percentage, its still quite small and very acceptable.

Ya 250 isn't too bad . I though they would be pumping out more guitars then that .

• Members

Whats the turn out on their acoustics? They dont get talked about much but they are still some of the finest on the market.

I don't know . The man in the video was talking about the Tennessee plant .

But they do make some nice acoustic guitars . A local bar I go to has an open mike day one sunday every month ........And one of the guys that comes up brought his J-200 this past sunday. It was a sweet guitar and sounded great . It has me gassing for one pretty bad .

• Members

just for the record: The switch on my us Hamer Special went bad within the week I bought the guitar. Shop fixed it without problems.

Things like this happens with all companies

• Members

Originally posted by bryvincent

what pickups atre in your LP and the SF you tried? some humbuckers, particularly vintage PAF styles are more susceptible to electrical interference due to their weaker magnet(a2 or a5). those with ceramics are more quiet.

thanx gens for suggestions.

The LP I tried had 480 & 500, but one of the SG's - the same 57's.

I'd understand that PAFs will buzz more, but it's still strange when they r quiter while switched on together.

When you say "rewire", do you men just resolder or should I connect something differently?:confused:

Archived