Charvel Charvette...

MKSkud

• Members

Anyone remember what these cheapo's went for brand new? I found a real nice one, but the shop is asking $299 :eek: ... I'm thinking of offering 100 bucks (cdn)... Is $100 out of line for one of these? I know they were the cheapest offering from Charvel/Jackson at the time, plywood bodies, etc. This particular model is hum-single-single with a liscensed floyd/locking nut. Plays and sounds really good for what it is...

• Members

I'm thinking they were right around $300 brand new. I know a buddy of mine had to have one because it was flourescent yellow with a reverse headstock. He was a huge George Lynch fan and thought this guitar looked like something Lynch would play.

A few years ago he tried very hard to get me to trade him my old beat up acoustic for it, but I wouldn't go for it. He ended up selling it and buying a Peavey T-60.

• Members

My old guitar teacher from years and years ago played a Charvette. It had the brightest paint I've ever seen on a guitar!

$300 is a mega ripoff. Those can be found in pawn shops around here all the time for less than $100, though usually in need of some TLC.

I wouldn't go any higher than $150 even if it's in New condition.

• Members

Update: I went to another pawn shop and this one had quite a few import Charvel's and Charvettes... The Charvels were all pretty beat, but they did have a couple a really nice Charvettes, like, REALLY nice shape! The one I was interested in was a hum-single setup, charvette lic. floyd, etc. The neck was mint, and the body had the usual tiny pait chips, etc. The old man running the place wanted 250, I offered 100, and explained to him all about Charvel, Charvette, etc, he was CERTAIN that it was a real "Charvel Jackson", as he said. 800 brand new! he tells me. I bickered for about 10 mins on it, trying to get him to understand, it was mising the caps for the locking nut, tone pot doesn't work, mising trem cavity cover, but he wouldn't budge on anything, so I left. Pisses me off though because he's got a real nice selection of these budget 80's guitars, and he doesn't know {censored} all about them... I guess I'll just keep checking in and offering my 100 bucks...

Hopefully the other place will be more informed and willing to actually conduct business...

• Members

Took it all apart, cleaned it up, did a nice setup, plays great. It's a nice basic guitar. Nothing fancy, and it feels, plays, and sounds great. I won't compare it to a 500 dollar guitar, because it isn't. It's fantastic for what it is. Fun to mess around with :)

• Members

Total 80s wankage guitars... and sound surprisingly good, from what I remember. My teacher had a neon green one with the finish dull and cracking, and someone had filled in the cracks with blue paint, it looked like total crap... but sounded quite good. Consider, though: I was playing a Squier Strat at the time, my first electric.

• Members

Originally posted by Toshiro

That trem gives me nightmares just looking at it.

+1 I have my nephews old guitar sitting in storage here just like this one except in red/black crackle. It's missing trem pieces but no matter because it was crap. Personally I would block that thing and not have to worry about it. no idea on pickups but the neck on it is actually pretty nice, it surprised me. Seems like a pretty good deal all considered.

• Members

Meh. They are well below the standard Charvel models, and the sissy "Charvette" name couldn't be much wimpier. I would cruise ebay for a nice late '80s/early '90s shredder in the $300 range, those are guitars that you would probably still want to own many years later, unlike Charvettes. :bor::freak:

Archived