ADK Mics

• Members

the TC, A-48, and the TT. ($599, $899, $999). form what ive heard the TC is the same as the TT except the TT has 9 patterns where the TC has only one. and then i was also looking at the A-48 which people say sound verry nice on vocals. if i were to get one i would get it mainly for vocals. it will be the most expensive mic i will own. but from what ive heard they sound wayy better than they are priced. and if the TC is the same quality as the TT for $599 thats a steal.

• Members

Originally posted by version 3.0

the TC, A-48, and the TT. ($599, $899, $999). form what ive heard the TC is the same as the TT except the TT has 9 patterns where the TC has only one. and then i was also looking at the A-48 which people say sound verry nice on vocals. if i were to get one i would get it mainly for vocals. it will be the most expensive mic i will own. but from what ive heard they sound wayy better than they are priced. and if the TC is the same quality as the TT for $599 thats a steal.

I'd say the A48 is the best from BACKGROUND vocals. There's a lot of high end, and not much in the way of lows and mids. But it works very well for that crispy pop sound if you are stacking up a bunch of vox.

• Members

I reckon it is all a matter of perspective... when I heard them I too thought they were indeed very "cheap" sounding. I thought they lacked the body, depth and detail I require from a condenser mic. I thought that for a tube based mic they were ridiculously cheap sounding.

There isn't a single application I have ever tried an ADK mic that I did not find another mic that kicked its ass in terms of things like depth, clarity and opulence of tone.

If you're looking for a great but inexpensive microphone I would suggest you check out a Shure SM-7b... just because it is a dynamic microphone you really shouldn't dismiss it.

There is no law that says vocals need to be recorded with a large diaphragm condenser mic, there is definitely no law that says a vocal mic needs to have a toob in it and the SM-7b sounds absolutely phenomenal on probably 90% of the singers in front of whom I have placed the mic.

Now, do I use the SM-7b on a regular basis? Yes, no... at times. My microphone collection includes some very expensive German tube mics so it isn't really a fair comparison... however, if your mic collection doesn't include some very expensive German microphones I would highly recommend you look at things like the SM-7b [which you can and will use for a lifetime] instead of crap like the ADK's and Studio Project mics of this world which you will outgrow in short order as your ears become better trained and you understand the nature of how sounds go together to comprise a serioius recording.

With all due respect, I would suggest you look at quality tools in the affordable range and avoid the "bargain" mics... in the long run, they ain't no bargain, just cheap... often bordering on disposable.

Peace.

Archived