How do I cut a new/repaired nut?

pktaskes

• Members

Originally posted by J Bone

take it to a luthier, it's a very delicate thing to be playing around with if you're trying to cut your own or even just fill it

what he said^

the reason we are saying this is because it sounds like it would be your first experience with a nut - and it could go very wrong. if you have an old guitar that you are comfortable with messing around with you could buy a few nuts and practice on them, putting each one on the guitar to try out (but dont glue them in until you know youve done it right because more than likely it'll take a few times to get a feel)

we are not saying that you cannot do it yourself - but you could end up with burrs and snags that will cause tuning problems from bending notes and getting stuck.

not to mentione the delicate process of removing and installing a nut - ive seen alot of guys first job that had cracks around the nut from damaging the wood on the fretboard.

• Members

You can learn to do it on your own, but be prepared to drop some money on nut files and a few nuts. Unless you're a prodigy, you're going to mess up a few until you get one right.

If you're looking to learn this skill for doing tech-type work on lots of guitars, then I give you encouragement; it's a useful skill to have. Stew-Mac's site has a pretty good tutorial on how to cut a nut, but they do recommend the use of a few extra tools you don't really need.

If you only need to replace the nut on one guitar, then I'd say hire it out as it'd be cheaper and easier.

• Members

It's an old Westbury without a trem. I've already filled in the old nut with baking soda and krazy glue and sanded it...came out nice. It's not a guitar worth a bunch so I'd like to try to give it a shot myself.

Archived