Ahh... help with tube preamp

• Members

I got a Presonus BlueTube preamp and decided to try it out. When I plugged one mic using one cable in, it worked perfectly recording into my computer. I tried a different mic cable and now there's a lot of background noise... whatever mic & mic cable I use. It happened on both channels... was that cable just faulty and cause a blown tube/fuse/whatever and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Sounds strange to me... I normally wouldn't expect a mic cable - even a defective one - to cause problems with / damage to a unit like that, and I suspect the fault lies elsewhere. Maybe you accidentally partially disconnected the output cable when you were swapping things and it's not making good contact now? Maybe that output cable is the defective one? Not likely, since you say it has problems on both channels, but I'd check that anyway.

If the device doesn't work with cables that are "known to be good" (IOW, used with another device and proven to work okay there), and you've checked to make certain the power supply is properly connected, then there may be an issue with the tube or something else internally on the Presonus. I'm not sure of the circuit design on the Blue Tube, but my guess is that it's a low voltage / "starved plate" design, and with some of those, you can actually remove the tube completely and still have a functioning preamp, since sometimes the circuit is designed with the tube just adding distortion via a parallel signal path to what is basically an IC or opamp solid state circuit.

Anyway, after checking the cabling, I'd recommend you either return the unit to the place of purchase for an exchange (if it's a recent purchase) or contacting Presonus about a warranty repair. They're a good company with good customer service, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't take good care of you.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. :(

• Members

I picked it up used... Presonus has been really good about getting back to me though, they replied to my email very quickly. I thought it was weird... it's a Presonus and I wouldn't have thought that a mic cable wouldn't be able to break it. Maybe it's the tube... I might take it into the music store tomorrow and see if someone wants to help me... lol.

Archived