Yet another monitor suggestion thread, also a spectrum analyzer

• Members

I know I need better, er, make that actual studio monitors for my less than entry level home 'studio'. I also need some type of spectrum analyzer to verify my ears are correct in detecting frequency overlaps, etc.

The M-audio monitors were recommended, I also see some KRK's at the local stores, anyone have suggestions on models? Like everyone, I want to keep the cost down and really don't even trust what I hear from the monitors in the store as everyone here seems to believe they will still sound different in my studio. I was hoping to get a pair for $300 but that appears to be stretching it.

Here are some monitors I found from GC online for example, give your thoughts:

M-Audio StudioPro 3 Desktop Audio Monitors - $99.99

KRK RP-5 Rokit Powered Reference Studio Monitor - $149.99

M-Audio Studiophile DX4 Powered Monitors Pair - $149.99

M-Audio StudioPro 4 Active Monitors - $149.99

KRK RP-6 Rokit Powered Reference Studio Monitor - $199.99

Yamaha HS50M 5" Powered Studio Monitor - $199.99 (42Hz-22kHz)

KRK RP-8 Rokit Powered 8 Reference Studio Monitor - $249.99

KRK V4II V Series 2 Powered Nearfield Monitor - $249.99

E-MU PM5 Precision Monitor - $249.99

M-Audio BX5a 70 Watt Active Studio Monitors - $299.99 (56Hz-22k Hz)

Event 20/20 V2 Passive Monitor System - $299.99 (50Hz-20kHz)

TASCAM VL-X5 Bi-Amped Studio Monitors - $299.99

Event TR6 Tuned Reference 6 Active Monitors - $399.99 pair

As far as spectrum analyzers, I know nothing about them, never even used one. But as I said, I don't trust my ears yet and hope that one could give me a second opinion until my ears get more trained. Any suggestions for a good analyzer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I went with the Rokit 5's, so far so good. I created a few extra tracks from CD songs similar to what I want so as to get a good baseline of how the monitors react and sound. I have a project that has to be submitted to a contest by the end of the month so we'll see how good they are under pressure. Oh yeah, haven't started the actual recording yet, just a few practice tracks to test the new monitors using a guitar with 9 month old strings. Now on to the spectrum analyzer search.....

Thanks again for the feedback.

Archived