Agile Tele copy owners

catahoulajc

• Members

This is not a praise Agile / slam Agile thread. I own one; its fine. I'm thinking about getting the thinline copy. Reason being is that I read reviews on this site about the neck being "not like fender tele" which pleases me mucho. Love the tele sound, hate how they play.

So, anyone who owns either the Tele (TC 630?) or the Thinline (TC 730), is that true? Is the neck much more like an LP? Would love to hear your input. Thanks.

JC

• Members

Have had a 730 for about a week now. I'm sorry I can't comment on your question about the neck, because I don't have enough experience with a fender tele.

I will tell you though, that I love the guitar. It is my third agile, which I compare all to my recent epi dot. All blow the out of the box epi out of the water FWIW.

The tele looks great-no flaws that my newbie eyes can detect. I bought the yellow one, and to my liking, it came with a black pick guard instead of white like the picture on the site shows.

It feels wonderful-on the lighter end of the spectrum and it's smaller body than my strat, lp, and 335 copies makes it the most comfortable of the 4 I own to play.

The strings it came with (I'll get new ones today) have rust spots, but it still sounds great-no complaints at all. Again, my only experienced comparison comes from my out of the box epi dot-which was dead and empty sounding initially. It now sounds great with a set up and Seymor Duncan pickup upgrades, but I would say the tele sounds just as good.

I'll post some pics later tonight. Hope that helps.

• Members

Thanks folks. Btw, Arcardiandj you are just the one who can tell me something. How does the size of the neck compare to your other Agiles? I suspect that they are cutting the blank stocks for necks out of the same pattern. Hence, the review by a 730 owner that the neck was flatter and wider "like a les paul".

So, take a look at your new axe right next to your LP copy. Do both necks appear to be the same thickness? As you can see, the fingerboars should curve ever so slightly from E string to e string (radius). Do both appear to be the same? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

JC

• Members

agiletc730.jpg

Re: the necks, the LP feels more hefty, but using a string to measure, they seem about the same. My strat copy feels the same as well. Let me spend a little more time measuring and playing, and I'll get back to you. BTW, noticed a little gap where the neck meets the body-very small, but a gap none the less. Let me know if you have other questions.

• Members

If it's an Agile and you hate it send it back no worries!!!

I have an AL2000, an SX KY1 Custom ands plan on pulling trhe trigger on another Al2000 and the PS-970 when it shows back up.

i have Tele already so no anticpation there

• Members

Originally posted by supa_scoopa

what's it made of??

i mean it's not Agathis like a MIM Fender.

what the hell does agathis sound like anyways?!?

What have you been smokin'?

MIM Fenders have NEVER been made of Agathis. They were made of poplar until the late 90s - now they are made of alder or ash (depending on model).

• Members

Thanks again. And, I have an update to my own inquiry. I wrote to Agile, who replied that (just as suspected) the thickness of the neck is exact as to the AL 3000. So, Arcadiandj, you're string measure was right on. Now, the scale length on the 730 is 25.5" as compared to the AL 3000 which is 24.75". Rosewood fingerboard versus ebony. Its my understanding that the 730 is supposed to be made of alder.

Great pic of your new axe. Its gotta be a lot lighter than the LP copy?! My 3000 is a brick lol. But, the LP has always been a heavy guitar. I guess in never bothered me since I used to hang a Rickenbacher back slung over my shoulder. ;)

This is the best of all worlds for me! A tele copy without the tele neck!

• Members

Originally posted by catahoulajc

Thanks again. And, I have an update to my own inquiry. I wrote to Agile, who replied that (just as suspected) the thickness of the neck is exact as to the AL 3000. So, Arcadiandj, you're string measure was right on. Now, the scale length on the 730 is 25.5" as compared to the AL 3000 which is 24.75". Rosewood fingerboard versus ebony. Its my understanding that the 730 is supposed to be made of alder.

Great pic of your new axe. Its gotta be a lot lighter than the LP copy?! My 3000 is a brick lol. But, the LP has always been a heavy guitar. I guess in never bothered me since I used to hang a Rickenbacher back slung over my shoulder.
;)

This is the best of all worlds for me! A tele copy without the tele neck!

How do tele necks compare?

• Members

Correction first, I used to hang a Rick bass (not back) over my shoulder.

Second, reply to Arcadiandj, I think that you are asking how the actual Tele neck compares to the 730? Well, hard for me to tell without seeing and playing the 730, but that won't be long. ;) But, I can say this, but will defer to any Tele experts, the Telecaster has gone through many many changes over the decades. The early ones had fairly thin frets and a 7"(?) radius. Over the years, they have moved to a flatter radius and the frets have grown. I think (?) that the radius is about 9.5" on the current teles (unless a re-issue model). The back of the tele neck is fairly rounded (the "C" shape). They simply don't feel perfect in my hands. Just a personal thing. I'm fairly lucky, I have medium sized hands, but long fingers so its not too difficult for me to change guitars easily. Plus, I started on an upright bass when I was 7 (now an old fart at 45 yrs) and I do 90% of my playing on acoustics.

Yesterday I was at C&M music in my hood and played every model of tele they had. Squiers and Fenders. Maple fretboard and rosewood. I have to admit that I like the current ones better than the old ones. As far as playability, they all were decent to good. But, the American tele did have the slickest fingerboard.

Gotta run. I'll let you know when I receive my 730.

• Members

Originally posted by catahoulajc

Correction first, I used to hang a Rick bass (not back) over my shoulder.

Second, reply to Arcadiandj, I think that you are asking how the actual Tele neck compares to the 730? Well, hard for me to tell without seeing and playing the 730, but that won't be long.
;)
But, I can say this, but will defer to any Tele experts, the Telecaster has gone through many many changes over the decades. The early ones had fairly thin frets and a 7"(?) radius. Over the years, they have moved to a flatter radius and the frets have grown. I think (?) that the radius is about 9.5" on the current teles (unless a re-issue model). The back of the tele neck is fairly rounded (the "C" shape). They simply don't feel perfect in my hands. Just a personal thing. I'm fairly lucky, I have medium sized hands, but long fingers so its not too difficult for me to change guitars easily. Plus, I started on an upright bass when I was 7 (now an old fart at 45 yrs) and I do 90% of my playing on acoustics.

Yesterday I was at C&M music in my hood and played every model of tele they had. Squiers and Fenders. Maple fretboard and rosewood. I have to admit that I like the current ones better than the old ones. As far as playability, they all were decent to good. But, the American tele did have the slickest fingerboard.

Gotta run. I'll let you know when I receive my 730.

Pics please! ;)

I'll be interested to read your review. You read like someone who probably knows A LOT more about guitars than I do. Cheers.

• Members

I 've had a 630 for a couple years and I'm not crazy about the fret work or the pickups. Rondo roughly shaved off the fret ends so its better than it was. I bought some used Fender Mex reissue pickups but haven't tried them yet. Then I need to decide whether to have the frets worked on.

Note I played many MIM Tele's in GC and their fret ends stuck out even more than the Agile's.

Archived