Removing stickers without ruining finish?

zbg8000

• Members

So I bought a cheap used guitar that the previous owner thought needed to be entirely covered with stickers. Half of them have just worn off leaving a nice adhesive residue. So whats the best way to remove them without ruining the finish? It is polyurethene if that matters. I don't need the easiest way, just the best. I have plenty of time to do it. Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by ending_zero

B0001Z93KW.01-A3DRKN6SKDIOQJ._SCLZZZZZZZ

This I like:

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml

The combination of "Citrus Power" and "scientific technology" could surely be put to a better use.

Does the combination of "minimal impact on the environment", "harmful or fatal if swallowed" and "we love our customers" seem slightly incongruous to anyone else?

• Members

the best thing to use is WD-40.....no kidding....you can get a booklet from the Crayols crayon people that tells how to remove and clean dozens of things and WD-40 is used for a lot. I use it all the time to remove labels from painted surfaces, plastic, fiberglass etc. Then use glass cleaner to remove the excess WD-40. Also WD-40 does not hurt finishes even on furniture. It was used as a trick years ago by used car dealers to make a faded finish shine like new.

• Members

WD40 or lighter fluid (the stuff you can get for Zippo's etc.) works fine.

I just finished cleaning off all the sicker gunk from my battered Partsocaster using WD40 and it's come up a treat.

From this:
monkeystick1gh.png

To this:
clean16zc.jpg

In 10 minutes. As long as you don't "do a Jimi" after you've put the fluid on, it shouldn't harm the finish.

Archived