Can single coil size buckers really compete with a full size?

ninja of love

• Members

the JB in one of my strats sounds pretty close to the JB junior. SO i'd say yes. Its not identical, i find the JB junior to cut a little better and sound a little more middy but In a good way. But I keep one strat in a different tuning so it could be that as well. So its not identical but yeah its pretty close.

• Members

I just got a used Schecter Ultra which I put a full size JB and Jazz in, and I'm extremely happy with 'em. But I also have a Strat with a Hot Rails in the bridge that sounds great, and the little '59 in the bridge of my Tele is my favorite pickup. I've got no complaint with SC sized buckers, at least the ones made by Seymour Duncan.

• Members

I've played a bunch of guitars w/ HB's and SC sized HB's, and when I decided to custom make my own project guitar, I chose to put a Hotrails in the bridge of a strat body. They sound very very close to the real thing. That's not saying the full 'bucker versions sound better, they just have a different tone.

• Members
Originally posted by Fosse Fox

Physics would suggest that yes they would compare well. the magnets and windings wont be that different. Just more comapcat packaging

Actually, physics would suggest that the size has a lot to do with it :p

• Members

They may 'compete' in the sense of sounding good. But they can't ever sound quite the same because of the length of string that the magnets are 'reading. Full size buckers sense the strings at 2 places an inch or so apart so there are phase and tonal things going on that won't happen with s/c sized 'buckers which are sensing the strings pretty well at one place.

• Members
Originally posted by fats

Actually, physics would suggest that the size has a lot to do with it
:p

Physics would also suggest that the packaging makes a big difference too. Two coils on top of each other as opposed to next to each other will be quite different.

Most single coil sized humbuckers are not intended to "compete" with full sized humbuckers, they are intended to "compete" with single coils.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Mr. Creosote

They may 'compete' in the sense of sounding good. But they can't ever sound quite the same because of the length of string that the magnets are 'reading. Full size buckers sense the strings at 2 places an inch or so apart so there are phase and tonal things going on that won't happen with s/c sized 'buckers which are sensing the strings pretty well at one place.

Twin blade hotrails go a lot of the way to address this.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

Physics would also suggest that the packaging makes a big difference too. Two coils on top of each other as opposed to next to each other will be quite different.

There are lots of single-coil sized humbuckers with the coils side by side.

• Members

Their the next best thing. Not same as, but close. Single coil humbuckers do allow for close to humbucker sound for when you either cant or dont want to reroute for reg humbuckers. For guitars with humbucker at bridge and two single coils for middle & neck position; upgrading the middle and neck pups with single coil size humbuckers can be quite nice comprimise for 3 pup guitar.

Archived