Big News From Gibson!!!

jec

• Members

Nothing backwards about the Custom, and I doubt Les picked the color.

I was just making a joke about how little input Gibson took from Les. The issue with the Custom and the Standard is why they would have a fancy gold top on their standard model, and a plain black finish on the "Custom". I'm not saying I believe it, I'm just stating the fact. Many people do believe the colors we mixed up.

• Members

Originally posted by chikinpox

I was just making a joke about how little input Gibson took from Les. The issue with the Custom and the Standard is why they would have a fancy gold top on their standard model, and a plain black finish on the "Custom". I'm not saying I believe it, I'm just stating the fact. Many people do believe the colors we mixed up.

more than that, why would they have a maple top on the low end model, and a solid 1 piece mahogany body on the more expensive one?

• Members

Originally posted by chikinpox

The Gibson Les Paul was created in direct response to the success of Fender

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Les Paul designed nothing on the Les Paul guitar.

Yeah, the guitar that I'm referring to as the one that he "put together" was the Epi "log."

And I was kinda being sarcastic, or ironic. I know how highly we value the Les Paul legacy around here. You know, not enough that we're willing to pay more than $500 bucks for it.. But still..

(Again, irony...sarcasm...)

• Members

Originally posted by LowMach

guitar_600.jpg

the lp guitar is just a variation of Paul Bigsby's single cut design?

And fender went ahead and borrowed the headstock design from the same guitar.

Kind of funny how now both makers will sue over things they borrowed in the first place.

:cool:

Cutaways on guitars predate Bigsby. Leo Fender claimed he got the six on a side idea from Eastern European instruments he saw, but its just as likely he got the idea from old Martin and other acoustics that had such a setup 100 years before the first Bigsby, which you can see here.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

Not even the signature on the headstock?
;)
Most people could care less about Les Paul the musician and associate the name with the guitar rather than the individual. I admit never listening to one single Les paul recording. For me Les Paul means a Gibson solid body electric guitar. Les Paul's endorsment is irrelevent. Not trying to start a debate but that's how I see it.

Does Lester get a royalty on each guitar sold that bears his name?

Or, did he sell the "Les Paul" name for a lump sum?

Or, is he SOL, and riding it just for the extra bit of fame and immortality that LP guitars seem to have?

Archived