about volume

piper19

• Members

I heard someone say it is best to supply your effects with the highest output of your guitar. He's talking about guitar processors then. Another guy said it the other way around, turn on your amp as hot as possible (tubes that is).

If this is true, what is a normal situation: volume of guitar on "10" and amp less volume; or volume of guitar low and amp high?

What guitar volume do you guys work with most of the time? I alwys start of at 5 so I have 50% play in both directions.

• Members

For me the search for tone at high volumes comes from tubes. Depending on the guitar. If it's one of my Strats with single coils, I've got more bass and mids. If it's one of my Gibsons w/hb's, then more treble.

At 10 on the guitar volume(s) I want as driven as I dare go on the amp volume and gain settings so long as I can back off on the guitar's vol. controls and clean up the sound for a nice clean rhythm. Like rolling back from 10 to 7 which is about the range I do.

It seems for me, I like the middle positions the most on either my Gibsons or Strats. I think this is the safest approach to getting good tone.

For low volume rooms and practice/jams, solid state is fine with me and I use two VOX Pathfinders, 15watters. They are fun!

• Members

if its one or the other with modellors i like to turn up the tubes and ease up the output of the unit until its where i need

i runone through an old stereo tube amp at home and i crank that sucker till i get some nice tube saturation, not so much drive but really get the tubes cooking to get that response and detail going, then ill up the output of the unit till its where i need

but one day i was jamming through a smaller combo with a modellor and had the volume on the amp lowish and cranked the output oif the modellor and got similart results - it had enough signal to really crank the amp up and by that time i was getting the same tube response, but it was a little different if that makes sense.

try both and let your ears decide ;)

Archived