Wolfgang owners identification

TOStudent

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

Why are you selling yours?

I thought you wanted one.

Me too. I thought he wanted mine....I was this close to selling it to him. :D

He's right though. If it is stock and has a volume and a tone, it'll also have a birdseye maple neck and an arched top. It's a USA Standard. New they went for $1,200 on the low end to around $1,600 or so. I got mine for $1,300 new. I see them on ebay for $800 and up.

So, cloudnine....you still wanna buy Greenie? I told myself that if I ever bought another great guitar, I'd sell her, and I did, so I'm ready to ship her out.

• Members

Originally posted by Songman68

If it only has the volume then it is a Wolfgang Special. It was the lower priced version but it is still kick ass and was still made in the U.S.

Unless it's the quilt top. Then it's made in Korea.

The USA Specials are nice guitars. The same pickups and hardware as the more expensive Standards. They just lack the maple carved top, body binding and the birdseye neck, so they look more plain jane. There is a USA Flametop Special, that is basically a Special with a 1/4" flamed maple cap with natural body binding.

• Members

Originally posted by TOStudent

it posted the pic after all

That's the Korean version. Not a terrible guitar, but not in the same league as an American version. Those have cheaper Floyd Roses, finished necks with a different neck profile. The American versions have better trems, and unfinished necks with an assymetric back shape. To me, the neck of the Wolfgang is the best part, and that's the part that's lacking on the Korean model.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

Me too. I thought he wanted mine....I was this close to selling it to him.
:D

He's right though. If it is stock and has a volume and a tone, it'll also have a birdseye maple neck and an arched top. It's a USA Standard. New they went for $1,200 on the low end to around $1,600 or so. I got mine for $1,300 new. I see them on ebay for $800 and up.

So, cloudnine....you still wanna buy Greenie? I told myself that if I ever bought another great guitar, I'd sell her, and I did, so I'm ready to ship her out.

Your selling Greenie? :eek:

How much you asking? Just curious...(at the moment) My wife would not like me buying another guitar right now.

• Members

The Specials have really gone up in price, even the EXP versions. People are asking $900 - $950 for them and getting it at times. I've played several different Wolfies looking for mine and you do notice a difference in the neck between the U.S. and the Korean models. To me, is it a huge difference? No. To others it may be though. I'm not picky when it comes to necks.

• Members

Originally posted by Ace_2000

The Specials have really gone up in price, even the EXP versions. People are asking $900 - $950 for them and getting it at times. I've played several different Wolfies looking for mine and you do notice a difference in the neck between the U.S. and the Korean models. To me, is it a huge difference? No. To others it may be though. I'm not picky when it comes to necks.

For a regular non-flametop Special?

If that's the case then cloudnine may be out of luck on Greenie 'cause I'll ebay the sucker with a reserve of $1000. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Ace_2000

IMO the Korean ones aren't worth that, but hey, if the market's there...for $1000 I'd get myself something much nicer. The Korean ones I've played were rather lackluster.

• Members

I have the plain jane black USA Wolf Special and it's a blast to play - 50 percent due to the bridge pickup (I replaced the neck pickup) and 50 percent due to the raw asymetrical neck. It's so damn unique, I wouldn't even consider an EXP Korean model just because of the difference in necks. Now if the EXP's were going for $300 maybe...but at the same price as the USA Specials - the USA whips ass.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

For a regular non-flametop Special?

If that's the case then cloudnine may be out of luck on Greenie 'cause I'll ebay the sucker with a reserve of $1000.
:D

Korean Specials go for $650-$700, sometimes more depending on condition of the guitar. A local guitar shop "blew out" the rest of their NOS Wolfgang EXP's for $800 a pop on eBay a couple of months ago. I just lost an auction to someone who bid up a red quilt top EXP to $700. I quit bidding after that. U.S. Specials go for $850-$900 depending on the condition and the top. The local shop I just mentioned has a gold top U.S. Special marked at $925. They said $900 was the best they could do. Reserves are high on the current listings. Just ask a couple of sellers who have Wolfies up for sale now. If you must have a Wolfie it might be better to wait and see what Fender puts out.

Archived