• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by batotman

Because its a MIJ LS-320!!!!

Also its a forumite so I'd watch your mouth! lol

lol

Okay, so maybe "nonsense" was a bit harsh. I just didn't realize that Tokai made a copy of an LP that sold for more than the price of the guitar it is copying. . . That said, I do like the looks of the $400-$600 Tokai Love Rock guitars. BA, I know you've owned a few. . . What model numbers are the best sub $700 ones?

• Members

Originally posted by GibsonQC

lol

Okay, so maybe "nonsense" was a bit harsh. I just didn't realize that Tokai made a copy of an LP that sold for more than the price of the guitar it is copying. . . That said, I do like the looks of the $400-$600 Tokai Love Rock guitars. BA, I know you've owned a few. . . What model numbers are the best sub $700 ones?

Where can you find a real lp for that price with that kind of top? This model isnt imitating the standard or classice but more like the gibson custom shop:)

• Members

Originally posted by supercow3

Where can you find a real lp for that price with that kind of top? This model isnt imitating the standard or classice but more like the gibson custom shop:)

Personally, if I were going to drop $2600 on an LP, I'd go for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Historic-Les-Paul-1958-Reissue-2002-FLAMETOP_W0QQitemZ7406500750QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is pretty hot, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Supreme-AAAA-Flame-Top-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ7406706739QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, I would never pay that much for a guitar. Too rich for my blood.

:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by GibsonQC

Personally, if I were going to drop $2600 on an LP, I'd go for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Historic-Les-Paul-1958-Reissue-2002-FLAMETOP_W0QQitemZ7406500750QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is pretty hot, too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Supreme-AAAA-Flame-Top-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ7406706739QQcategoryZ47072QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But, I would never pay that much for a guitar. Too rich for my blood.

:freak:

yeah i have to agre with you, i wouldnt pay soo much for a guitar my self..as for choosing gibson over tokai, you know what they say about gibsons qc;) :p:D

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

I saw that too. I can't imagine why anybody would pay that much for a copy when you can get a Custom Shop Gibson for less.

All of the '59 Les Paul Custom Shop Guitars I've seen on Ebay are selling for a lot more than $2600.

The 320s have a reputation for being AT LEAST as good as the Gibson Custom Shop Guitars. I own a LS200, which has slayed every standard Les Paul I've tried. The quality is definitely on par with the Gibson Custom Shop and I bought it for the price of a regular Standard. If you want to save a few bucks and still get an absolutely amazing guitar and don't stay awake at night because the headstock doesn't say Gibson, than the Tokai is a good deal. ;)

• Members

I'm sure there are several Gibson Purist here and I myself own a Historic R0, but the Tokai LS-320 is an amazing guitar. You won't find a Gibson Historic with a Brazilian fret board for the same price(in my opinion a R9 with a brazilian board is the same league as this LS-320). Not to mention that the Tokai has a AAAA top that is very nice compared to a lot of R9 and R8's I've seen. Like was stated above it's rare that a R9 sells below $3000 and furthermore Historic R9's with brazilian boards cost around $6000. Anybody who wagers that his R8 or R9 can smoke a Tokai clearly has not seen a nice example of a LS200 or LS320.

• Members

Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

After playing a couple of those recent high-dollar MIJ Tokai LS320s I can see why they're for sale and why R9s are still a smokin' deal at $3000-3500.
:cool:

Even my R8 ($2200) smokes those LS320s...

Where have you played a couple of them?

• Members

Whao there Nellie !!!!!!!!!

I am sure glad I can use my FIRST POST here to stand up to you ONLY A GIBSON IS GOOD ENOUGH guys and say I bought my Tokai LS200 from BUCKWILD !! And that is after looking at a lot of Gibson Les Pauls all over the Bay Area and eBay and frankly being VERY LET DOWN by what Gibson is putting out. EVEN the Custom Shop and Historics are sadly lacking in build quality. I'm 59 and what Gibson is cranking out these days is really starting to remind me of the Norlin Era crapola they were knocking out 30 years ago...

Sorry but that LS320 is a real screamer and you guys should get off your high horses and actually play a Tokai before being so high and mighty to knock them as you have. And frankly the lower priced Tokais you talked about, well they're ok if you're 19 and have a job at McDonalds and can't afford a better instrument. But they're laminated tops or MIK with cheaper pots, pickups and such - no better than any EPI LP.

The cheaper good Tokais are a thing of the past, just like guys that think some of the hot Ibanez hollowbodies from the late 70's early 80's should still cost under a Grand are living in the past... Folks have figured out that these are some really especially well made instruments that rival or BEAT the American brands by a lot... And I'm a guy that owns a number of high end American and Japanese guitars and there's a lot of Gibsons that are laughably bad...

Usually I am more relaxed and easy to get along with but you G-lovers needed to have your ears pushed back some. Here's a shot of my LS200... Not bad eh ?? And through my old Blackfaced Deluxe Reverb and Dumble Pedal this thing is such a screamer !!!!!!!!

BigMikels200b.jpg

• Members

Oh Yeah, and just so you know Money Ain't No Object in my search for the Holy Grail Guitars I'm keen on here's a shot of a few of the horses in my stable. No slouches here... The instrument on the bed: an 1860 Bay State Parlor guitar... real sweet. The others, left to right:

1976 Alvarez-Yairi DY96 (only 10 ever made)

1969 Gibson Super 400

1981 Ibanez George Benson (probably my favorite axe).

PB130042.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by bigmikeinca

Whao there Nellie !!!!!!!!!

I am sure glad I can use my FIRST POST here to stand up to you ONLY A GIBSON IS GOOD ENOUGH guys and say I bought my Tokai LS200 from BUCKWILD !! And that is after looking at a lot of Gibson Les Pauls all over the Bay Area and eBay and frankly being VERY LET DOWN by what Gibson is putting out. EVEN the Custom Shop and Historics are sadly lacking in build quality. I'm 59 and what Gibson is cranking out these days is really starting to remind me of the Norlin Era crapola they were knocking out 30 years ago...

Sorry but that LS320 is a real screamer and you guys should get off your high horses and actually play a Tokai before being so high and mighty to knock them as you have. And frankly the lower priced Tokais you talked about, well they're ok if you're 19 and have a job at McDonalds and can't afford a better instrument. But they're laminated tops or MIK with cheaper pots, pickups and such - no better than any EPI LP.

The cheaper good Tokais are a thing of the past, just like guys that think some of the hot Ibanez hollowbodies from the late 70's early 80's should still cost under a Grand are living in the past... Folks have figured out that these are some really especially well made instruments that rival or BEAT the American brands by a lot... And I'm a guy that owns a number of high end American and Japanese guitars and there's a lot of Gibsons that are laughably bad...

Usually I am more relaxed and easy to get along with but you G-lovers needed to have your ears pushed back some. Here's a shot of my LS200... Not bad eh ?? And through my old Blackfaced Deluxe Reverb and Dumble Pedal this thing is such a screamer !!!!!!!!

I know the quality of MIJ Tokai's and don't dispute that. However you are HIGHLY underestimating the MIK Tokai's and sound like a cork sniffer. One has to work at McDonald's or be unable to afford a REAL MIJ in order to appreciate an MIK. That REAKS of bull{censored}.

Archived