Slide on electric

jjpistols

• Members

nice stuff Bruce :thu:

it's really fun - it's been several years since my last attempt, but I can't believe how easily it's coming to me now

I'm not hitting everything perfectly of course, got a fair bit of screech and buzz when I start trying to rock out - but I'm entertaining myself with the sweet slow and soulful stuff

I haven't played a guitar with my fingers or standard tuning since monday :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm also in the Warren Haynes style standard tuning camp. I mess around a little with open G, and even less in open E-just a couple songs in each. Most of what I play is Allman Bros./Gov't Mule type single lines or two or three string chords-you really can't use more than 3 strings at a time in open tuning, but it's usually enough to get some cool sounds. I'm picking up some Black Crowes too and a little Joe Walsh.
I use my ring finger-either a wine bottleneck or Dunlop blues bottle (corricidin). I just picked up a Dunlop Moonshine ceramic slide that I'm liking the sound of too. I put it on my pinky for one song-Phone Call from Levenworth by Chris Whitley-very cool song.
Anyway, I've only gotten serious about it about 6 months ago and I've picked up a lot in that time after years of hacking once in a while so keep at it-it's not the years but the hours.

• Members

Originally posted by Twisted Logix

I play slide in standard tuning......Its hell....but its worth it......Check out Gov't Mule Recordings, and anyting with Warren Haynes playing on it....I think he has a Hot licks DVD too....its awesome....Dude rocks your face....

i've never been able to get much out of a slide but would love to learn. when you play in standard tuning what scales do you use?

• Members

Originally posted by guitarkid13

well i tried it...when my friend asked me to buy one for him because i was going to GC....

while it was at my house...i played it...

it was all on my sg...so you can say im following derek trucks...

i can get some kinda nice sounds out of it...

but i just find it hard to integrate it with regular playing...

oh well...

ill learn!

stop...........talking........like........this.....

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

after several failed attempts in the past to make a good noise, I got slide fever - seems I've finally got a bit of the touch now, I can make pleasing sounds as often as not

been fooling around in Open G on a couple strats (I like the mid/neck position for this) with a glass slide through a semi-clean VC508

so - who plays slide on electric? what guitar do you use? is it dedicated to slide? what's your set-up like? what's your rig?

any wisdom to offer?

also, I'm planning on getting one of these soon - anyone used one?

I stilll play a bunch of Allman Brothers stuff. My slide guitar is a dedicated guitar because my action is just way to low on my other guitars. I use a Les Paul with high action (compared to my other guitars) and PAF remakes on it. The PAF's are old Dimarzio remakes but sound really nice for slide guitar. You willget a lot better tone if you get a dedicated guitar and use 10's on it........that way you can still play finger leads as well.

• Members

Originally posted by leopardstar

i've never been able to get much out of a slide but would love to learn. when you play in standard tuning what scales do you use?

Basically you use the same scales you usually would. I play in standard tuning too, always have. I have always been a big Allman Bros fan, Gov. Mule too.

• Members

I have a cheapie 335 copy (Oscar Schmidt OE30) that I put Pete Biltoft P90s into for a poor man's George Thorogood. Strung up with flatwound 11s it makes a fantasticly smooth and throaty slider running into a hot DRRI, using a heavy glass tube on my pinky.

OE30_Biltoft.jpg

I know {censored} about what I'm doing but this setup makes me sound far better than I deserve. In open G it's just the tone I was trying to achieve. The only problem is I also love these pickups for regular playing in standard tuning, so I switch back and forth a lot. Must......get......more......guitars.

Archived