Presonus Digimax FS?

• Members

The main console at my studio (Mackie d8b) is getting close to 10 years old and it needs to be re-capped. It's a GREAT mixer that's paid for itself 5 time over, it's still very usable as a monitoring/routing desk, but it's getting close to the end of it's life. It's served me and my clients well over the last decade, but I'm getting noise in the mic/line pres that I can't live with.

I'm thinking in the short run, I'll pickup two of these Digimax units. I don't use the pres in the Mackie unless I'm tracking a session that needs more than 13 mics, but all my outboard pres get routed to the line inputs and sent down a optical digital output to the computer (in essence, working as a converter).

I'm thinking the Digimax will work well as line input/digital converter for my outboard preamps. It's got BNC word clock, which I need, it's priced right and it's got a few other bells and whistles that may come in handy in the future.

Does anyone have any time logged with one of these? If so, what did you think of them?

Thanks

• Moderators

I read an excellent article in, I think it was, Sound on Sound. A working studio decided to evaluate the various converter upgrade options. It's all a vague memory now but... as I recall, the Digimax FS fared quite well. The Aurora and Apogee boxes were deemed superior, as to be expected, but they were all surprised by the quality of your possible new box. And it's pres.

Good luck searching. It may not even have been Sound on Sound. Sorry for the cloudy memory and good luck.

• Members

I don't need just converters, I need line-level pres too.

Line-level pres? :confused: I'm not sure what you mean here. If you're coming from an outboard mic preamp, you're at line level already. You just need to convert that signal to digital. Now, if you need mic preamps, then the Digimax should be just what you want, but if you just need to get 16 channels of line-level signal converted to digital, then all you really need are converters.

• Members

Line-level pres?
:confused:
I'm not sure what you mean here. If you're coming from an outboard mic preamp, you're at line level already. You just need to convert that signal to digital. Now, if you need mic preamps, then the Digimax should be just what you want, but if you just need to get 16 channels of line-level signal converted to digital, then all you really need are converters.

That's what I need. After looking at some of the Apogee stuff, I noticed they used Elco connectors and I'd rather not go there. I guess I didn't phrase that as well as I could.

Based on what I've seen, the digimax looks like the ticket. I don't really want to drop more than a K at this point, so it hits the mark price-wise.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

i recently bought a digimax fs. i wanted at least 4 simple mic pres (1 trim knob, no eq, no compression, etc...) that sounded good, and hey it even connects via adat to my 2408mkII, + this thing has 8 nice sounding pres, sweet!

i used it this passed weekend to record drums and i absolutely love it. the pres sound great.

and to boot (surprisingly) a worker at guitar center suggested it and even knocked a few bucks off.

i would suggest it.

Archived