Opinion on Ibanez S540

Janx

• Members

A local Music Go Round has 2 Ibanez S540's.

I'm definitely thinking of getting an S series, I like the body slim body style.

What do y'all think of them.

The shop wants $700 for them (and they're both missing the locking nut, kinda odd).

They both seem to play alright, one's got a staticy switch.

Is $700 too high? What would be a good counter offer?

Janx

• Members

I have the S540FM in a green sunburst...i think its called aquamarine lol...anyway its a great guitar and i wont ever part with it...tho my tastes have changed since i got that about 8yrs ago..still lovely guitar and for rock stuff superb - just gone off skinny necks lately.

The stock PU's are ok but i changed the buckers for a FRED and a PAF PRO....lol who was my influence?? bet u cant guess!:D

So great guitar tho i did prefer the now defunct Radius series with the same shape(ish) body but not as wafer like at the edges...but they were gone when i got my S

• Members

So Brian likes 'em. Anybody else?

They had a blue one with stock pups, and black one with modified. Don't recall what they were.

I like the S body. Don't know if I should settle on a lesser model, and save some $$$.

Given my newbie nature, i don't really need a new guitar, but I would like the slimmer body, compared to my current axes.

Janx

• Members

Brian, how did you like the PAF/Fred in your S? I'm actually considering those for an S prestige that I have to replace the stock QM pickups, which sound a little sterile to me.

At any rate, the S540 is a great guitar, but $700 is too much. They regularly go for 4-500 on ebay.

• Members

would I be just as happy with a S470 (or whatever 400 level they make now)?

I'm not too picky (or experienced, or discerning) at present, though I imagine I could actually develop an ear for good tone.

I like mostly metal stuff, my current preference being things I can play with easy power chords because I'm a weenie and things I can pick that are fun but aren't shredfully fast.

Janx

Archived