Hmmm Hamer Monico (LP) or Korina Standard (Explorer)

Beergoblin

• Members

I have a Hamer Monaco on layaway, but I've been thinking about possibly switching my order to a Hamer Standard. My Deans are close enough to an LP Custom in build except for the shape, so a Monaco may be a tad bit overkill even though its still a KILLER guitar and you can never have too many =) . I don't really have any experience with Korina though so this would definately be something new and this guitar is EXPENSIVE so I'm a little hesitant on just plunking down the cash. At least with the Monaco I know damned well what I'm getting.

Any thoughts? What experience do you guys have with Korina? From what I understand its like mahogany with a difference in the overall midrange, and lighter to boot :thu:

• Members

Beergoblin, You've got good taste. I just got a Hamer Monaco Elite Mahogany in 2-tone sunburst. Scored a sweet deal on a NOS model. I think the Monaco will probably age with you better. I have nothing against pointy guitars. I used to have a Gibson V98. Korina is pretty similiar to Mahogany tonally, usually lighter in weight and slightly brighter in tone. Can't miss guitars on either account.

• Members

My experience with Korina is limited to my Epiphone '58 Korina Explorer.

I know some will bash it's quality, the number of pieces (3 with a veneer top) and some even have stated that they are not really made of korina (limba) despite what the mfr specs say

BUT-

I can say that the guitar is fairly light for such a bulky guitar and it sounds surprisingly resonant.

It actually reminds me a bit of a semi-hollow in its tone.

The first day I got it in the mail, I immediately found myself playing the "Johnny Be Good" riff on it. It just seemed well suited for that kind of hollow type of tone. It produces a real classic rock tone without as much crunch or harmonics as the Gibson '76 Explorer, but then again, the Gibby has hot ceramic pups.

The Gibson counterpart to the Epi '58 Korina is a Custom Shop Model that sells at discount for $8K. The Epi fit my budget better at $450 + $80 for a HS case. ;)

Archived