I was surpised at how tonally different 3 and 6 saddle bridges are on a Tele

Zeopold

• Members
Originally posted by Europa760

what was the difference?

physics dictates more energy transfer to the guitar because of the mass of the larger saddle - I think

sustains more and has a purer tone - I know

**also, the 3 barrels are wider in diameter so they change the angle that the string goes into body leading to more pressure and energy transfer.:wave:

edit: sorry I thought your post said "what is the difference".

• Members

Although I don't own a tele, in addition to what jonny guitar mention, the fact that two strings are sitting on the same piece of metal will have a distinct effect.

Think of a 12 string guitar and the fact that you usually have two strings on the same saddle...you have two strings that are sounding the same note which are vibrating on top of the same piece of metal. Although I don't know enough about vibrations I can assume that it'll create a much different tone that if the strings sit on different saddles...just like a tele, except that you don't normally play the same note.

Now that I think about it, I bet a good test would be to play the 5th harmonic on the E string with the 7th harmonic on the A string...I bet there's a distinct difference between a tele with 3 and a tele with 6 saddles

• Members

Also, since there are two strings on the same saddle, they exert twice as much pressure on it!

BTW, some lap steels have a bridge that could be considered kind of like a 1-saddle Tele...

• Members
Originally posted by Archdemon

I'm sorry, but that has to be the WORST looking guitar I've EVER seen.
:(

Really???
Let's just travel back in time for a minute - let's go back to, say, 1985; imagine - a slimmed down strat style body; neon pink; pointy headstock that says Kramer; or Jackson; or Charvel; HSS configuration; no pickguard; and a black Floyd Rose....

.....now that would be the WORST looking guitar imaginabel, this thing above is a real beauty in comparison!

Archived