Advice for oiling my fretboard

brian62275

• Members

Hey guys & gals...I could use some advice or help on the best or proper way to oil my guitar. I own an Ibanez SZ2020 with a bound rosewood fretboard. It doesnt have any inlays or markers.

Any suggestions or tips would be helpfull

• Members

Apply the "oil" to a clean cloth and rub it into the fret board. Don't worry about putting too much as you can always wipe off the excess later. You will also get a bit on the frets themselves and this is not necessarily a bad thing. There is no feeling like new strings and a freshly oiled fretboard!

Some on here advocate oiling the fretboard only twice a year or so. I do it at every string change...call me crazy but the wood soaks it up like mad. The winters tend to dry wood out and the extra oil should not be hurting anything.

• Members

Originally posted by brian62275

Is it advisable to take a razor and lightly scrape the grime off first?

Absolutely {censored}in NOT!!

I've started using Dr. Ducks Ax Wax on my guitars. Great stuff, you just have to make sure you use lots of elbow grease and it cleans up your guitar like new. It also oils the board. I've also pick up some Guitar Honey from http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

I haven't used it yet as I am happy with the Duck Wax.

• Members

If there is grime on the fretboard, use 0000 steel wool to lighty rub it off while the board is still dry. It won't harm your rosewood but make sure to cover your pickups so that the small pieces of steel wool don't wander down and stick to them due to magnetism. Its a real pain to get that {censored} off afterwards!

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

Same procedure for an ebony board? I was gonna do mine today for the first time.

Yup, I have an ebony fretboard on my Carvin that gets that exact treatment...strings off, steel wool, wipe down to get all loose gunk/wool off of surface, oil away. Re-string and feel the happy happy joy joy love from the fretboard!

:thu:

• Members

I tend to get my fretboards pretty grimey since I sweat profusely when I play. What I have used for years on every guitar I've owned, without any scratches or damage whatsoever, is a soft toothbrush. I don't bear down hard, I just use it to lightly scrub along the frets and it easily pulls up the grime build-up.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by guitar-fish

Thanks Lobo - funny you mentioned it - mine's a Carvin too - a DC-400.

I know your guitar well..its probably one of the nicest ones i have ever seen and acutally was my "desktop" background for about a month or so!!!

Too bad you are selling it!!

• Members
Originally posted by Blackbelt1

I tend to get my fretboards pretty grimey since I sweat profusely when I play. What I have used for years on every guitar I've owned, without any scratches or damage whatsoever, is a soft toothbrush. I don't bear down hard, I just use it to lightly scrub along the frets and it easily pulls up the grime build-up.

~Blackbelt

Another excellent idea! :thu: I too have sweaty hands and caustic sweat. I get about 6 hours of actual play time out of a set of strings before they rust and, or, turn black. I wash my hands before I play and wipe the strings down afterwards. I change a lot of strings and clean a lot of fretboards. I may try the toothbrush thing next time!

Archived