How to prevent from being ripped off?

jmingo

• Members

I may be sending a large money order to someone for a guitar soon. Seems like a really great seller, but was just wondering if you guys had any tips or percautions on being ripped off?? like payment form, etc.

thanks

• Members

Send a postal money order by certified mail with return receipt requested. Keep your receipt portion of the money order. People have sent me that with their money order more than once. Check out the seller beforehand as best as you can.

• Members

Originally posted by AmpegJoe

Send a postal money order by certified mail with return receipt requested. Keep your receipt portion of the money order. People have sent me that with their money order more than once. Check out the seller beforehand as best as you can.

thanks for the tip... return receipt, good idea!

i got his ebay account and it was perfect, and i contacted him through it, the emails matched up and all that.

• Members
Originally posted by jmingo

thanks for the tip... return receipt, good idea!

i got his ebay account and it was perfect, and i contacted him through it, the emails matched up and all that.

I didn't notice you were in Canada.

Je ne veux pas que vous residez au Canada.

I'm sure you have the same service.

Je suis confident que vous avez le meme service.

;)

Good luck!

Merde!

• Members

You need to engage the services of an honest broker.

Send me the money and have him ship the guitar to me.

Now I'm sure there's supposed to be more to it than that, but I always seem to forget what's supposed to happen after that. Oh well, try it anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by AmpegJoe

I didn't notice you were in Canada.

Je ne veux pas que vous residez au Canada.

;)

Good luck!

Merde!

Why don't you want him to live in Canada?:D

C'est, je savait pas que vous habitait en Canada.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by jmingo

I may be sending a large money order to someone for a guitar soon. Seems like a really great seller, but was just wondering if you guys had any tips or percautions on being ripped off?? like payment form, etc.

thanks

DON'T send a money order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the seller is a scammer, there is no recourse except to take him to court. Good luck with that.

Use a credit card through a reputable escrow service or Paypal. Your credit card bank should provide you with protection.

• Members

Originally posted by mbr12

DON'T send a money order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the seller is a scammer, there is no recourse except to take him to court. Good luck with that.

Use a credit card through a reputable escrow service or Paypal. Your credit card bank should provide you with protection.

what if i bought the money order with visa??

Guest Anonymous

I don't think your bank will protect you since you didn't buy the guitar with the card.
Doesn't matter what kind of return receipts you get from the seller if you send a money order, you have no protection.
It the seller insists on a money order, wire transfer, Western Union or whatever, let it go. He may be honest, but why chance it?

• Members

Originally posted by mbr12

I don't think your bank will protect you since you didn't buy the guitar with the card.

Doesn't matter what kind of return receipts you get from the seller if you send a money order, you have no protection.

It the seller insists on a money order, wire transfer, Western Union or whatever, let it go. He may be honest, but why chance it?

so go with paypal and pay the fees?? 3%?

one time i almost got ripped off and paypal did nothing for me

Guest Anonymous

Paypal's protection is useless for the buyer. If your bank is decent, they should be the ones you turn to if you're scammed.
If you receive a box of firewood instead of that 2k guitar, a decent bank will do a chargeback. Paypal won't, niether will the post office, Western Union or the place you bought the money order from.

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

You need to engage the services of an honest broker.

Send me the money and have him ship the guitar to me.

Now I'm sure there's supposed to be more to it than that, but I always seem to forget what's supposed to happen after that. Oh well, try it anyway.

pish posh to meaningless details..

Archived