Your choice: Poly v. Nitro v. Other

u6crash

• Members

What is your choice in finish, and how strict are you about it? Is anyone here so picky that if they picked up a guitar that felt great and found out it didn't have the preferred finish, that you wouldn't buy it?

Pretty much every mass produced guitar is done with polyurethane these days, right? I think I've heard before that nitro shrinks over time and that's why it isn't used as widely. What are the disadvantages of waterbased lacquers? I've read quite a few good things about them, but nothing about why they might be bad.

• Members

I perfer nitro.

but I base my decsion more on the neck, and how resonate the wood is,

even a guit with a poly finish can resonate well.

nitro just resonates slightly better.

the neck is definatley a bigger factor for me though.

I LOVES me some v-neck.

• Moderators

Originally posted by u6crash

Pretty much every mass produced guitar is done with polyurethane these days, right?

Mass produced "poly" finish is polyester, not polyurethane. Polyurethane is what you commonly associate with brushing varnishes, and as such has been around for quite a while. Polyester spraying is quite recent and apparently a Godsend for the piano industry. None of them make any difference to sound, although they do affect feel. My Tele still has about 1mm of black real nitro with no top coat and if I get a tad too hot my fingers start to sink into the nitro:D its a POS and it also split once after an evening at an outside function where it ended up next to a halogen light that cooked it, but its still a lovely POS, I must put it back together soon:cry:

• Moderators

Originally posted by sunset_gun

but many people get too hung up on it as a "must have". It doesn't really matter.

Too right!! its cellulose, ie plant matter dissolved in nitric acid and is really for blowing {censored} up, polyester is great stuff, ya can use your guitar for hacking down trees and it wont feck up

• Members

I've done some finishes in acrylic laquer and I'm very happy with them. That same "deep" color with a surface as smooth as glass, and it was pretty cheap.

I'm interested in trying to do a padded laquer (french polish) type of finish.

If I like the way the guitar looked, played, and sounded, I would not care what it was made of (well, as long as it wasn't toxic I guess).

Archived