Best pickup for Les Paul

derUbermensch

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by IvIark

I've test driven a Bullseye on a couple of occasions.

And which models of EMGs are in that guitar?

There are sugnificant differences between one EMG and another.

In a Les Paul I like and 89 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck.

The 85 has a warm smooth tone, almost like Eric johnson if he used humbuckers.

The 89 had bite and growl but cleans up extraordinarly well with the tap feature.

I've tried an 81 and didn't like it at all.

• Members

Originally posted by Milkman1

And which models of EMGs are in that guitar?

81 and 85.

And I'm not just saying this to annoy you, but I preferred the sound of an Epiphone in the shop with passives.

I've also used a Steinberger with SA/SA/85 and much preferred Super Distortion and Lil59 / JB Jr combinations.

Like I said though it's all opinion, but active pickups just don't do anything for me at all and this is especially the case in a Les Paul.

• Members

"I want a thick, beefy, chunky, brutal distortion"

Buy one of those weird shaped pointy things with EMGs and a wall of Quadruple Rectifiers seems like the right answer to me.

If you want thick, beefy, chunky, but toneful distortion then there are better options.

• Members

No contest;

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

email Tim (owner/designer) and he will steer you right.

Warpigs are the MEATIEST they do (22+k) and NOT active!!! Just ordered a calibrated set for my Custom SG.

In an LP Mules or Cold Sweats are VERY popular.

Check out the site and "players room" in the forum for plenty of different clips.

Tim IS the man!

• Members

Originally posted by 70's Strat

the gibson stock humbuckers that r already in the LP's

+1

What pickups do you have right now? You have to know where you are in order to figure out where you're going.

• Members

Please.

More stereotypical crap.

What's stereotypical? Guitarists who want "brootal" distortion using pointy guitars with EMGs?

If some guitarists fit the stereotype you can't criticise other people for noticing it.

• Members

You get used to certain gear and learn to get the sounds you like from it.

First, I have said it before, but, I don't play metal. Nothing against it, it's just not my bag.

I play classic rock and original rock in a similar vein. I've used EMGs almost exclusively for decades with great results and in my opinion, great tone.

Recently I was given a beta sample of a handmade(and gorgeous) guitar to try out for a few months at gigs for the purpose of helping the builder refine his process.

The guitar in question had Fralins.

I HATED them. I realize that they are prized and considered high end, but they buzzed and were pretty gutless to my ears.

BUT I tried them myself. I can't say they suck, and I can't say they are only good for blues or country. (I use EMGs for those genres).

I CAN say I don't like them. Over the years I've tried pretty much every major pick up make that has come along.

I know what I like.

• Members

I have a concert video from Gary Moore's Wild Frontier tour.
In that show he plays Charvel Strats with one EMG and a Floyd. His tone is absolutely awesome. It is in no way cold or sterile.

Everytime I watch that show I want to buy an EMG equipped Strat.

• Members
Originally posted by peavey_impact

I don't use EMG's, but anyone who says that they sound sterile or bad just has poor technique
:wave:

You may well be right, but if I can get a tone that I am completely happy with despite my poor technique and passive pickups, then I'm happy enough with that.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

I have a concert video from Gary Moore's Wild Frontier tour.

In that show he plays Charvel Strats with one EMG and a Floyd. His tone is absolutely awesome. It is in no way cold or sterile.

Everytime I watch that show I want to buy an EMG equipped Strat.

But what was he using in his signature Les Paul which is what this thread is about?

• Members
Originally posted by Tonemeister69

as if you can't find threads on, 'What pickups for my Les Paul?'
:rolleyes:

Search harder
:thu:

Originally posted by Omri_Maor

SEARCH!!!!
:mad:

Look to you upper right hand screen!!

Its pretty hilarious, a week has never passed by here without this thread. We should ban them

so once something is spoken about once, its not allowed to be spoken about again? that sucks.

• Members

You may well be right, but if I can get a tone that I am completely happy with despite my poor technique and passive pickups, then I'm happy enough with that.

Im a passive pickup guy myself. But its only because I don't like {censored}in with batteries.

Seriously though, there is no way that EMG could have become one of the top pickup manufacturers if their pickups are "cold" or "lifeless". WTF does that mean anyway??

Look at the hundreds of artists who use them. Obviously they do something right.

That being said, I'll choose a Duncan or Dimarzio over an EMG any day, just because they are cheaper, no batteries or rewiring involved, and to me they sound different, but just as good.

• Members

Seriously though, there is no way that EMG could have become one of the top pickup manufacturers if their pickups are "cold" or "lifeless". WTF does that mean anyway??

Who said cold and lifeless? I said that in my opinion they aren't the best pickups for transmitting one of the Les Paul's best charateristics which is its warmth.

Look at the hundreds of artists who use them. Obviously they do something right.

How many active pickup users do you know compared to passive? I bet there are hundreds of users of Squire Strats but that doesn't mean everyone should want one!

But my poiint is, I'm not even saying they're wrong, because how can someones subjective opinion be wrong? I'm just saying that to me they aren't anywhere near a good as any passive pickup I've used.

That being said, I'll choose a Duncan or Dimarzio over an EMG any day, just because they are cheaper, no batteries or rewiring involved, and to me they sound different, but just as good.

Whatever floats your boat, to me they are easier to fit, less messing about and sound better. So it's an even easier decision.

• Members

Do a search on cold and lifeless on this forum and i guarantee every hit will be about EMGs.

Well if that's the concensus of opinion not everyone can be wrong can they? ;)

• Members

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, i just don't get it.
:confused:

Have you played a Les Paul with EMGs? If you haven't just try it and then try if with a really good set of passives in and then decide which you think is best.

There's nothing to get, it's just our opinions.

• Members

But what was he using in his signature Les Paul which is what this thread is about?

I was making a point that EMG's don't always take away tone and warmth since this thread seemed to take a detour in that direction.

Earlier in the thread I stated that I feel you can get a better tone using a good clean and clear pickup and get the distortion from the amp. I used to be into high output pickups but have found that a good PAF type pickup with a good amp get's you a better, less muddy tone.

Edited to add "In my opinion". :D

Archived