1957 Fender Stratocaster Reissue Comparison to Eric Johnson's?

sporka

• Members

I need help with this.

I went to guitar center, and several other stores on the Sunset strip. However, none of them seem to have the vintage series 1957 Reissue Stratocaster that I want to play.

I was tempted to try this guitar and most likely buy it after playing Eric Johnson's signature model. Though I am weary and never was a big fan of signature guitars, as well as it being a financially bad move. Handing out another 300+ bucks just for Eric Johnson's signature on my headstock, or whatever, is not okay by me.

So, I am making this thread in order to find out the similarities between Eric Johnson's signature strat to the 1957 vintage series re-issue, to all of those who have played one.

What I liked about Eric's strat was that it was SUPER LIGHT, low action, nice fit.

Are all the 1957 Reissue Strats as light?

Also, I know that there is one difference between the two concerning the neck. Eric Johnson's turns from a C neck into a V neck, or something along those lines.

What are the reissue series strats' necks like?

Are they thinner? wider? shorter? what shape are they?

I am trying to find out as much as I can because Eric Johnson's model is available for me to play, and if it is nearly the same thing, I will most likely order that 1957 Stratocaster Reissue from Guitar Center or online.

Thanks for everyone's input! :thu:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very little similarity between the two models.

Very few '57's are as light as the EJ. EJ models get handpicked light bodies. '57's just use what comes down the assembly line.

The EJ has a lighter, thinner, more professionally sprayed finish; not like the syrupy-thick nitro spray on the American RI series.

The EJ has a completely different neck, fretboard radius, frets, etc. The '57's have a soft-V carve all the way down the enck, a raunder fretboard radius and smaller frets.

You would have been better off checking out a '50's MIM model for neck feel comparison.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

Very little similarity between the two models.

Very few '57's are as light as the EJ. EJ models get handpicked light bodies. '57's just use what comes down the assembly line.

The EJ has a lighter, thinner, more professionally sprayed finish; not like the syrupy-thick nitro spray on the American RI series.

The EJ has a completely different neck, fretboard radius, frets, etc. The '57's have a soft-V carve all the way down the enck, a raunder fretboard radius and smaller frets.

You would have been better off checking out a '50's MIM model for neck feel comparison.

Wow.

Ok.

I guess they really need some new Salesmen in Guitar Center. The guy there claimed that the only difference you will get between Eric's model and the 57' Reissue is the neckplate having a custom carving and the neck shape transforming.

Still, I don't understand how they can be so different? Isn't Eric's model just a 57' Stratocaster with some modifications?

EDIT: Just to be sure, I am speaking of these two models:

57 Vintage Series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=510048

Eric Johnson Signature Strat:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=511311

• Members

No, the EJ model has little more in common withj the '57RI than it does any other mode Strat.

Guitar stores staff for famous for their ignorance; but you can do you own homework and be better informed than most. A quick trip to Fender. com would give you this.

American Vintage

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Syrupy-thick nitro???
:confused:

All the nitro finishes I have seen on the American Vintage series have been thick and sticky. They spray it as heavy-handed as they do the their poly. Even the current CS Relic stuff is spray thicker than the EJ finish (or wonderfully thin finishes from the Vince Cunetto-era Relics)

• Members

Originally posted by sporka

Wow.

Ok.

I guess they really need some new Salesmen in Guitar Center. The guy there claimed that the only difference you will get between Eric's model and the 57' Reissue is the neckplate having a custom carving and the neck shape transforming.

Still, I don't understand how they can be so different? Isn't Eric's model just a 57' Stratocaster with some modifications?

EDIT: Just to be sure, I am speaking of these two models:

57 Vintage Series:

Eric Johnson Signature Strat:

Do yourself a favor and never go into GC or Sam Ash to buy something unless you know exactly what you want and why. I have only been playing for 6 yrs, but I know a lot about gear from these forums and I cannot believe how uninformed these musician/salepeople are.

• Members

Hmmmm.

I see the good input here.

And I REALLY liked the feel of the Eric Johnson Strat.

The one thing I thought could improve was the neck width. That is, I would like the neck a little smaller. Not as wide (not in girth, bu the actual fretboard.) Though, a small neck girth is actually pretty appealing to me as well.

Still, though, I am extremely reluctant to buy a signature series guitar. Something about it doesn't add up for me, I don't want Eric Johnson's guitar. It seems that he just took a '57 and made it his own.

What is the difference between the body pieces? and also, how much of a different will the heavier/thicker finish have?

Will the '57 Reissue series be noticeably heavier, or just a bit more?

Thanks again for all the knowledge on this board.

I was actually trusting the salesperson, which sounds dumb regarding anything.

• Members

Hmmmm.

I see the good input here.

And I REALLY liked the feel of the Eric Johnson Strat.

The one thing I thought could improve was the neck width. That is, I would like the neck a little smaller. Not as wide (not in girth, bu the actual fretboard.) Though, a small neck girth is actually pretty appealing to me as well.

Well, that would be hard. At 1-5/8", the nut of the '57RI and EJ Strat are considered narrow. Most guitars these days have the wider 1-11/16", some models even go up to 1-3/4".

Neck feel will be the biggest difference between the two guitars. The '57RI has a very round fretboard radius with tiny vintage frets. It will feel and play very different than the EJ model.

Still, though, I am extremely reluctant to buy a signature series guitar. Something about it doesn't add up for me, I don't want Eric Johnson's guitar. It seems that he just took a '57 and made it his own.

The only thing it really shares with the '57RI is nut width and hardware, otherwise it isn't any more or less like a '57RI than it is any other Strat.

What is the difference between the body pieces? and also, how much of a different will the heavier/thicker finish have?

In my opinion. None. Except possibly in weight. But there are the anal-retentive out there that insist on 2-piece bodies and thin nitro.

Will the '57 Reissue series be noticeably heavier, or just a bit more?

Yes, or yes. Really it all depends on the wood blank they make the body from. I would guess you could find two '57's with weights as far apart as 2 lbs.

Some people have a problem with Signature models, especially if they are for an artist they don't like. But sometimes, you get just the right features from a signature model.

• Members

The difference in the thin nitro vs the thicker is the way it will wear through and look vintage on the EJ. Supposedly it would sound better too, but probably not a lot of difference in sound as far as the finish goes. I've also read that the reissues have nitro sprayed over poly, which will wear through in the year 2249. Personally, from what I've read, the EJ sounds like a really cool guitar. I haven't played one though, and only briefly played a 57, which felt pretty nice, but it did have the sticky neck. If you can wait, a used EJ should go for cheaper than a new 57-then all is well. Used > new imo as far as guitars go.

• Members

Originally posted by Lgehrig4

Do yourself a favor and never go into GC or Sam Ash to buy something unless you know exactly what you want and why. I have only been playing for 6 yrs, but I know a lot about gear from these forums and I cannot believe how uninformed these musician/salepeople are.

+1000

I will never understand why and how the music industry works so hard on R&D and marketing only to have so much of its retail trade put in the hands of total idiots and/or stone liars.

The most frustrating thing is to be asked if you have a question then asking one and getting a blank stare.....or worse, a load of old rubbish (i.e., you already know the answer and are just testing them).

I know about 1/100th of many of the posters here (esp w/ regard to amps, electrical circuits, etc.) but my limited knowledge is encyclopedic compared to the mouth-breathers infesting many GCs. I do get the odd knowledgeable person but most of the time it's the store manager and he's far too busy to chat. I think a lot of these store monkeys join GC dreaming of shredding all day on expensive amps and guitars while getting a nice discount. Too bad when it turns into work.

I'm sure this kind of BS goes on in electronics and car dealerships every day but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

• Members

Okay, I revised the list of differences, and maybe Wyatt or someone else that is infomed can input on this. I will list the differerence in the Vintage 57 Stratocaster Reissue from the EJ model, then my idea on what would change with it.

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish) - As opposed to the thinner finish, I don't see how it can make THAT much of a difference. How much thicker can it be? I played the EJ strat and I felt the glossyness enough to feel the glossyness. I don't recall noting that it was "Wow! this is way thinner than the actual 70's strats in the Vintage room or the Other strats here!", infact, I don't recall noticing something special about the finish at all. This is probably because I am not trained to look for these things, as I have only been playing for two years. Conclusively: I don't know that it will make THAT much of a difference in feel, I suppose I would have to get used to the extra gloss, but I will have to do so anyway because I am changing from a rosewood mexstrat to a maple. Also, I don't think it will make that much a different in weight, that is, noticeably.

Comfort Contoured Alder Body *as opposed to* 2-Piece, Deep Contoured,

• Members

Originally posted by relictele

+1000

I will never understand why and how the music industry works so hard on R&D and marketing only to have so much of its retail trade put in the hands of total idiots and/or stone liars.

The most frustrating thing is to be asked if you have a question then asking one and getting a blank stare.....or worse, a load of old rubbish (i.e., you already know the answer and are just testing them).

I know about 1/100th of many of the posters here (esp w/ regard to amps, electrical circuits, etc.) but my limited knowledge is encyclopedic compared to the mouth-breathers infesting many GCs. I do get the odd knowledgeable person but most of the time it's the store manager and he's far too busy to chat. I think a lot of these store monkeys join GC dreaming of shredding all day on expensive amps and guitars while getting a nice discount. Too bad when it turns into work.

I'm sure this kind of BS goes on in electronics and car dealerships every day but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

Two recent experiences.

1. Guy tried to aggressively to sell me an extended warranty on $500 JV strat. What the fu--? is going to happen to a strat that I would need to send it back??? This is after speaking with him for 20 minutes and telling him that I've made a few Warmoths and do my own wiring and set ups. They are like robots and don't listen and align with their customers.

2. Bought a Vox tonelab and told the girl that I am only using it for home recording. Again, she tries to sell me that extended warranty and uses the rationale that while playing a gigs someone could spill beer on it?? I just told the bitch it's for home recording and that I don't play out!!!

• Members

The EJ strat is really not based on anything. That guy is so....something. He could never play a guitar based on something else, because that would be a flaw. To him, his guitar is absolutely perfect. He can tell the difference in sound by replacing the batteries in his wah. Thats {censored}ing scary.

• Members

Too bad when it turns into work.

EXACTLY.

No, it doesn't.

Actually, I also have a weirdly deep aversion to signature-series guitars, and would love to hear more thoughts on that. I don't care about my feelings for the artist (my feelings for the guitar are important), but I worry that this year's premium paid for that signature series endorsement is next year's embarassingly unsellable stigma.

Foolish?

• Members

So, I just went to the guitar center AGAIN, had to see the EJ one more time.

A real cool guy came up, seems like a salesmen by the name of John that knows his stuff. I told him about the conflict and about the dumb salesman from before, and he said the guy was a "dumshit" and didn't know what he was talking about.

I tried the EJ on a nice Marshall they had there, and it just sounds so good, that I can't stop myself from buying it. I didn't buy it yet, but I will probably end up doing so.

After trying out that amazing strat, John told me about the stories regarding Eric Johnson coming the custom shop and being anal about everything. Overall, he said that it is pretty much one of the most acclaimed Fender guitars, as told to him by the people AT the custom shop.

I can't wait to hear what this thing will sound like after I plug it in to the Hylight Era Vintage Hiwatt Custom 50 or Custom 100. With a nice distortion pedal and some volume, it's going to phenomenal.

Thanks for all your help Wyatt, it seems that I was trying to defy your facts because I was so reluctant in getting a signature model, but after playing it this time, it's just too good to give up for a name. Heck, I actually like Eric Johnson, just something about signatures the wierded me out.

Once again, thanks for everyone's input. It is almost certain that I will be buying the Eric Johnson model from the GC, and see if I can extend the time they will allow me to return it just incase a 57' reissue pops up around here somewhere and I feel it is a better choice.

Thanks again for everyone, you guys really helped me make my decision. And hopefully it will be a good one :thu:

• Members

I've just read two interviews with Eric Johnson and he said the main things about his signature Strat are as follows and don't blame me for what he said:

1) The headstock is trimmed down and angled back a little to elimate string trees, which are the main cause of tuning instability.

2) The tremelo block is increased in size to bring it in line with the 50's style, which helps to increase sustain.

3) The tone control normally used on the middle pickup is switched to the bridgepickup.

4) This is the big one,so don't flame me for this. The guitar body is made of alder and Eric said "Fender haven't used alder on their bodies for many years.

I thought they had always used alder but apparantly not, so what {censored}ty, heavy wood have they been using since 1984 ?

So, what gives here ?

• Members

Do not buy a EJ from Guitar Center.

I saved myself 300 dollars and had Musicians Friend price match it with EM Shorts (do a google search)

I got it for 1350 dollars and with a free fender blender MF was giving at the time.

The instrument I got was bar none the best strat I have ever played.

You will love it and it is way better than the 57 in my book

• Members

So, I just went to the guitar center AGAIN, had to see the EJ one more time.

A real cool guy came up, seems like a salesmen by the name of John that knows his stuff. I told him about the conflict and about the dumb salesman from before, and he said the guy was a "dumshit" and didn't know what he was talking about.

I tried the EJ on a nice Marshall they had there, and it just sounds so good, that I can't stop myself from buying it. I didn't buy it yet, but I will probably end up doing so.

After trying out that amazing strat, John told me about the stories regarding Eric Johnson coming the custom shop and being anal about everything. Overall, he said that it is pretty much one of the most acclaimed Fender guitars, as told to him by the people AT the custom shop.

I can't wait to hear what this thing will sound like after I plug it in to the Hylight Era Vintage Hiwatt Custom 50 or Custom 100. With a nice distortion pedal and some volume, it's going to phenomenal.

Thanks for all your help Wyatt, it seems that I was trying to defy your facts because I was so reluctant in getting a signature model, but after playing it this time, it's just too good to give up for a name. Heck, I actually like Eric Johnson, just something about signatures the wierded me out.

Once again, thanks for everyone's input. It is almost certain that I will be buying the Eric Johnson model from the GC, and see if I can extend the time they will allow me to return it just incase a 57' reissue pops up around here somewhere and I feel it is a better choice.

Thanks again for everyone, you guys really helped me make my decision. And hopefully it will be a good one
:thu:

Don't hesitate. I have a 2-tone EJ it is is one of the best strats I;ve ever played. If you happen to get one with a sticky neck don't be put off. The nitro sometimes needs more time to cure. As far as wierded by sig models, at least EJ put his name on the neck plate instead of the headstock. To be honest, I think the neck plate is pretty cool.

You can obviously do better on the price in places other than GC or MF, but if you have their credit cards they run good no interest for 1yr deals.

Good luck!

Archived