Help me pick an Agile

• Members

Yes, its an agile thread. (Please dont kill me :freak: )

Anyway, being mostly a single coil guy, (by that i mean i play cheap strats,) i've decided i need something with humbuckers. Not having that much money; i naturally decide to browse through the agile site.

After playing on a couple of my friends epi's and gibsons, i've decided LP's arent really my thing. I love the sound, but the body and neck feel big and clunky, I miss my trem, and i'm overall way more comfortable with something that feels fender-ish.

I dont really think i'd need a floyd, so that ruled out the AL-2500 FR and the PS-970 with a floyd. I was pretty much set on the SX -KY1 Ash;mahogany body with an ash top, (essentially LP tonewood lightened with the ash,) H-S-H, (So i could still get some stratty sounds,) maple neck and a regular trem. The one thing i didnt really like was the natural finish.

I was all set and ready to order, until i went through the site today and found something new; the PS-924we. Looks beautiful in both finishes, a regular trem, H-H with a coil tap, (so i still get the strat sounds,) a set neck, and a winkenson trem.

I would go with the PS, but i dont know if i can justify the extra 200 dollars for the pretty finish and coil tap, when i could just have the H-S-H anyway.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone has/does own either of these and can give me opinions or comparisons, ect. anything would help, im really torn between the two. I'm probably going to up the pups on either, so the originals arent that big of a concern.

Edit: i cant get the link to the PS to work for some reason? Wierd.

[url=http://www.rondomusic.net/ky1ash22.html

• Members

Ive never owned an agile.....

but, let me state that a finish CAN be worth a lot of money. A guitar being absolutely gorgeous to its player is invaluable, in my mind. So if your tastes are a spiffy maple top (Im a TOTAL sucker for them) then I say its WORTH the money. From everything they say around here, you cant go wrong with an Agile, so if you can do it, you may as well pony up the extra cash and get the one that will make you weak in the knees every time you look at it.

Just my opinion.

OH, and P.S....I never thought a coil tap would be a big deal till I got one. I LOVE the coil splits on my Schecter, and use them WAY more than I ever thought I would.

• Members
Originally posted by whoop

do NOT buy an SX... the frets are over-filed and the E strings slips off the fretboard when bending.

agiles are 10x better than SX

Do you have a KY1? This is important because SX quality varies by model. At least let me say that my SEG1 STD and KY1 CUS22 have different quality concerns, and I wouldn't say the that either of your statements apply to mine.

At any rate, regarding flatfacerincone's decision, understand that the PS-924WE is only tapped for the bridge, which for me would mean I'd have to do work to tap the neck too.

If I was going to have to do work anyway, I'd keep the $200, buy the KY1 and add a push-pull pot switch to tap them. The only other thing I can add is that rondo describes the PS-924WE pups as Hot. If the KY1 ASH22 has the same pups as my KY1 CUS22, I wouldn't describe them as Hot.

I know what I added probably doesn't help much, and in fact I'm glad I already bought and tapped my KY1 CUS22 so I don't have to make the same decision! ;)

• Members

Well, im not buying this guitar primarily for single coil sounds anyway, i've got plenty of that, so not having the neck tapped is no biggie.

And yeah, i read the 'hot' pup description. No problem, if i dont like em, i was planning to go aftermarket anyway. :wave:

• Members

How the frets ends were filed was a definate problem on the SX tele I had.
A nut replacement with a lesser E to E dimension might have solved the problem but would not have been the correct fix.
I gave the guitar away.
sx1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm a strat man, but since I lived so close to rondo, I went over there and picked me up a lawsuit lp junior copy, ad 2200 or something like that. Anyway, I still like my strat more of course, but the agile's p90s sounds great with any degree of distortion. I don't like the cleans as much, but that's just me.

By the way, after I bought that one, the valkyrie blowout sale came along, so I thought I should own a humbucker guitar, and it was only $99. I honestly haven't touched the thing for about a year. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather play my first squier affinity than that.

Anyways, if you're a single coil man, I don't think it's smart to jump to humbuckers all of a sudden. You might be extremely dissapointed, as I was. Also, coil taps are neat, but after a while they just end up sounding like thin humbuckers imo.

PS: I've heard mix reviews about SX. Some say their tele has a godly tone for the money, while my friend bought one and said it was complete crap.

• Members

I have an SX tele and the frets are certainly excessively filed. They are filed at an angle for about a little less than 1/8" at each end. The guitar {censored}ing sucks because of this and is totally unplayable for me. I had to raise the action and turn it into a slide guitar.

Also there's something wrong with the neck (needs to have a complete fret filing) due to the string buzz. I'm damn good at adjusting the truss rod, but I just couldn't eliminate the buzz from this guiitar.

However, the pickups sound ok but aren't the greatest, but I did have to remove the cover on the neck pickup. The tuners are ok. Pots ok too. It does have a quite a bit of the tele vibe.

I have no idea if the more expensive SX guitars are better quality, but there's no way in hell I'm ever buying another one to find out. I don't trust the fanboys to tell the truth due to their blind unrelenting devotion.

I do own several Agiles and they don't have the fret problems and I would buy another. In fact I'm thinking the steelbody acoustic will be my next guitar.

Archived