Guitar Stuff Isn't Made for "Playing Out" Anymore....More Thoughts

jec

• Members
Originally posted by Archdemon

Good point, the guitar market definitely does seem to be aimed at the noodling collector demographic. I'm personally not exactly the type to sit in front of my computer and record my own wanking, I'm more of a band type, and because of that, I understand what you mean. At the same time, I'm not the Pod type either, I just stick with good guitars into good amps, eliminating some of the "studio sound" gear on the market, but I have noticed that not many setups are applicable in live situations. Guess I'll just have to stick to the few things that work live.
:rolleyes:

So Trolls don't like PODs??? :D

• Members

The gear points out a dichotomy, but not necessarily of different players, but of different needs for home and playing out.

A lot of guys who love tube amps for playing live will record ideas through a POD into their computer because they don't want to wake the wife and kids or piss off the neighbors., Live they'll use a tube amp with a rack multieffects in the loop to get the same sounds but with a more rugged rig that breathes (tubes).

It is true that for someone playing at home, a cheaper, lighter-duty amp or effects unit is a viable alternative.

• Members

some random thoughts:

my sometimes/ex-bandmate has been gigging 3 particular dano minis for upwards of five years now. no pedalboard as protection, just pedals on the floor, plugged in every time he has practice or a gig -- and this is 3 bands simultaneously for 5+ yrs now (metal, rockabilly, & power pop). never once a problem, not a bad jack or broken knob. cheap stuff can often do the gigging thing no prob. theres no set rules. none.

Page's danelectro comes to mind, as do Prince's teles, and Jeff Healey's Squires. mods notwithstanding, they are cheap guitars, plain and simple -- polished turds as some might call them, but world-touring, record/dvd-making (and selling) turds. maybe it depends on who does the polishing?

i am constantly saying "Damn, i wish they had this stuff when i was coming up." this applies to everything -- especially the flow of knowledge & info that the net brings -- including pod-stuff for home/private practice, smokey amps for portable use, low-rent tube amps, and mountains of guitars with decent enough specs/QC and reasonable prices. and not that there werent those guitars years back (70's, 80's), but nearly so many.

its a very good thing to not have to encounter beginner players using Hondos and Kents and the like -- but it was quite common, and painful, awhile back. theres a lot more in the pro-sumer range.

the state of live music is very much in peril. :(

more gear means more competition in the market, and that is a good/great thing for us -- for all the tone-commodization out there, there are plenty of others offering different stuff out there to balance it out. boutique/specialty makers are much of it (including the likes of Reverend, DiPinto, Italia, etc), but even Rondo offering LP copies with a trem pushes the envelope somewhat.

Yay for competition. Yay for us, and our GAS.

I don't play guitar because I want to play shows; I play because it's fun in itself.

the fun (and catharsis/therapy) itself should be at the root of all of our desire to play. (

Archived