If you became president of Gibson?

aerorockjax

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. Meet with GC and MF execs to re-frame the relationship so that Gibson wasn't controlled by them instead of me.

2. Revisit all of the contracts with the independent dealers that have been cancelled over the past few years and build those relationships again.

3. Fire anyone that suggests putting coil tap switches on LP's as a standard configuration (it's been tried and failed miserably every time - LP buyers as a whole like the guitars just as the good Lord intended - two volume, two tone controls, one pickup switch, no other wiring or frigging whammy bars - don't mess with it).

Sales would plummet since my strategies have more to do with my love for the brand and the instruments than they do with bottom line quarterly financial success. Stockholders only want earnings. They would want to string me up for causing flat or negative growth, and I'd call them all {censored}ing assholes at the annual "State of the Company" address, which would be my second to last official communication as Gibson President.

My last would be to sign a deal with 357 on the way out to give them 2,000 GIBSON Les Pauls free to give to all the forum members who got ripped off by Chad what's his name...:thu:

• Members

1. Put graphite or bone nuts on all guitars, and have them properly cut!

2. Have the frets dressed properly on all guitars

3. Get rid of half the product lines

If I get a few more:

4. Lengthen neck tenon

5. Strengthen the headstock/neck joint (scarf it)

6. Create a maple neck LP in a reasonable price range without any Zakk Wylde graphics.

7. Hire a R&D team comprised of people who actually play guitar

8. Hire Bill Lawrence (the REAL Bill Lawrence) to head the new R&D team!!!

• Members

Make a special run of Les Pauls for people like me that hate them. They'd be slightly thinner,60s neck and have stock Duncan JBs in the bridge. The QC would also be amazing... I'd fire anyone who let a crapper out. :mad:

Or.... I'd just get rid of Les Pauls.. :D

• Members

I would tell the custom shop to build me a run of 100 1959 Les Paul Historics in Iced tea burst and then I would take them all home and then close the factory for good.:D

Then when all the dumbasses that wouldn't pay the old prices started bitching about how they could even BUY ANY gibsons..

I would offer them one of my LP historics and tell them it will cost them 400,000.00 each and watch them scramble to mortgage their homes.

and everyone that had an old gibson would Love me because I will have made ALL Gibsons worth 100 times more than they ever were.

and I would sit and play my handmade Bennett guitar all day, while thinking about all the multi millions worth of Gibsons in the next room...:D yeah...:)

damn, maybe I drank too much tonight..:rolleyes::D

• Members

I would steadily raise the price on all models to increase the allure of the guitars, because everybody knows you get what you pay for, even if what you get is the same thing you got for a lot less last year. Meanwhile, I would let QC slip and cut corners, confident that loyal Gibson devotees will blame the dealers for the {censored}ty guitars I send them.

Naturally, I would cash out after a year or two. There's no WAY this kind of crazy-ass plan would work for long.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

I would steadily raise the price on all models to increase the allure of the guitars, because everybody knows you get what you pay for, even if what you get is the same thing you got for a lot less last year. Meanwhile, I would let QC slip and cut corners, confident that loyal Gibson devotees will blame the dealers for the {censored}ty guitars I send them.

Naturally, I would cash out after a year or two. There's no WAY this kind of crazy-ass plan would work for long.

LOL! I think someone beat you to it!

• Members

1) drop the price of the LP Studio to under $600

2) drop the price of the LP Standard to under $1000

3) raise the price of every other LP model by $1000 so that cork sniffers can give me their money & feel good about themselves

4) vow to make better guitars than the Koreans

5) move manufacturing to Japan

6) make the Floyd Rose LP Trem available as an option

7) issue a wedgehed II Artist Model Firebird

P1000068.jpg

• Members

Good thread, thx.

1) As someone said, I'd add straplocks. Gibson has done this already with the LP GT. I'd add 'em for all Gibsons.

2) I'd also create a "Gibson" logo strap, using wide black nylon, and add the model of the particular guitar. (Embroidered on the strap.) Optionally, I'd coordinate the color of the strap with the color of the guitar. Sounds like a little thing, but it would be huge, trust me. Key selling point: the straps would NOT be available separately!

3) Add locking tuning machines to all Gibsons, as they have with the LP GT.

* EXTRA CREDIT: I'd make ebony fretboards available on more Gibson models. I'd also create an LP standard *and* an LP Studio Plus model that did NOT have a flamed maple top. Some of us hate flamed maple. I'd like a top option that showed unflamed, unquilted maple, just as the LP Custom does now. (At $3000+ dollars.) I'd also create at least a couple of LP Standard tops that are solid color OR blue or red sparkle top (which they once did, in the mid 1070s.)

• Members

1. raise quality control

2. narrow down the models. we know they do it because the best guitars are the more expensive in general.. so its part of the marketing scheme. If you want a LP that plays well and sounds well you DO have to spend too much... so

3. i'd cut the price a bit - not a lot but at least enough to make the nicer guitars more accesible.

my personal experience was that I wouldn't buy a LP studio due to quality reasons.. so i bought an SG standard.. and waited out til i saved up for the LP Custom - personally - if they would just price em a little better + add better quality control for the cheaper models as well.. they'd sell more guitars than thier competitors... but maybe they wouldn't sell as many expensive ones i dunno.

Ben

PS I'm glad I traded my PRS in for the LP. And Paul Reed Smith was a dick when I met him. don't ask him questions like "why do you use acryilic finish when you know it is more fragile, it can crack really easy" ;) he'll just be a smart ass and tell you to screw off politely. Who cares if its as shiny? I like playing a guitar not a trophy _end rant_

• Members

Originally posted by myname1

They could make a BETTER profit if they change a few things....... that's why.

I haven't seen anything posted in this thread that would improve profitability....

...except mattburnside's suggestion...

...which pretty much makes my point.

All of the suggestions would make people on this forum like Gibson better but that's not the same thing as making Gibson more money.

Right now, Gibson is all about brand identity and prestige. They know their market. They know what their market wants. They are making what their market wants.

• Members

Originally posted by aerorockjax

If you became president of Gibson (with authorty to make any changes you see fit), what would the 1st 3 things you would do? Be as specific as you want.

This thread is not to bash Gibson but to see the differences of priorities people would have if they became president of Gibson. New guitar models or lines? Elminate certain models or lines? Change specs on certain models? New color/finishes? Change production processes, location, quality assurance/control...? Changes msrp's? CHange warranty? Build new plants? Close certain plants?
:wave:

1. Q.C.

2. Q.C.

3. Q.C.

Archived