Holy Smokes, you've got to see this guy

ncook

• Members

post, I also didn't mean to set anyone up who didn't know he's a regular here (I didn't know) but here's some comments from ibreath, this is all of them and they're all positive...

Dude, that guy is absolutely phenomenal!!! WOW!!! He makes it look so easy, like he's thinking about football or ordering a pizza as he plays.....mmmmmm,pizza...

I find there are 3 kinds of chops out there...2 of which I enjoy seeing and listening to.

There are the guys that you can tell have spent the majority of their lives in the woodshed...and I'm not a big fan of that. Then there's the guys that you can tell the only speed they have is from playing all the time...it's flawed, but it's raw and I like that...then there's the kind of chops this guy has. I compare this kind of playing to the be-bob guys of the 40's. charlie parker, sonny stitt...before coltrain and cannonball made the 'fire and brimstone' popular. It's this incredible technique, but it's such a relaxed virtuosity that it's like he's just standing at a bus stop...it's nothing new, and he's just watching the world go by.

Not what I want, but still...pretty crazy...

Very nicely done.

...I've got his name etched from somewhere before, has he been mentioend here no IBM before? I think maybe....

He looks very relaxed and comfortable lol. Like he was thinking about something else.

Hey, this is actually one of the few times I really like a video of this kind of stuff. The great thing about this guy is that not only he's is looking relaxed, but his timing is also very relaxed. Really musical sounding stuff, and a nice balance between melodic phrases and fast runs.

I e-mailed the guy asking about his technique and complimenting him on is stuff. He came back with a very modest answer, explaining that he's not perfect but he tries to avoid sloppiness, and he did a lot of very focused work with a metronome to get those chops...

I bet he did! I'm sure his name rings a bell...

Liked the song from his band "Fragile Vastness". They obviously released an album. Pretty good. Reminds me of stuff I used to like a lot

His name sounds familiar because he's a reg on HC

Kudos Alex, very good playing. I admit I really wish I could play like that. If you were going to point somebody in one direction to develop such skills, where would it be? Any pointers for a guy who would like such clarity, speed and definition? Any specific exercises?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Alex Flouros

:D
you guys are funny....

i will certainly will not get into a fight here...

but why is guitar such a competitive thing between guitarists??

why do you have to bash anything on sight without a reason??

how can you be so absolute without having a freakin clue on the thing you talk about???

hmm...anyway..

some info...

if you could actually read between the lines in the description of this vid you would see the story behind this clip...

a friend of mine who is a huge Yngwie fan came by my house for a beer..but he brought a cam with him and he asked me to play this song for him so he could tape it...

i hadn't played the song for a freakin long time so it was kinda fun trying to remember some parts while playing..

anyway..it was pure fun...just for fun...so for the same reason i posted this on this very forum...(the amp one)..fun..

do i need to have a purpose certificate,granted by the pope to make a freakin vid or clip without people bashing me??

so by seeing a single clip you guys think you know everything about my playing????

interesting..i wonder if you could read my palm too...

some more info..

shred is not my thing...plain and simple...

just follow the link in my sig(yes its the same one with that vid....that meaning you could have done that already before predicting my past and future)and you will see that i'm simply into many other things...

anyway...

of course i'm not addressing this to all of you in here...the ones who deserve it know who they are...

thanks to the guy that made this thread and everyone that took time to watch it...

i'm usually around the amp forum..check that place too if you like...

or PM me if you wanna talk about anything else...

see ya,

Alex

Dude you got my vote, I think you're cool and have wowwed everyone I have shown the video to on my end... Good Job!!!

• Members

Absolutely amazing technique! He nailed Far Beyond The Sun too, including having great tone and feel, not just hitting the scales. I would kill to be able to play Far Beyond the Sun like that!

It must take a lot of patience to cruise forums when you are a pro guitarist and you have to listen to all of the 16 year old bedroom wankers judge your music and decide it's crap and you should keep your day job, blah, blah. I know Michael Angelo Batio cruises some forums also and has to endure some of the same nonsense. :rolleyes:

Great playing. ;)

• Members

you guys are funny....

how can you be so absolute without having a freakin clue on the thing you talk about???

hmm...anyway..

some info...

if you could actually read between the lines in the description of this vid you would see the story behind this clip...

a friend of mine who is a huge Yngwie fan came by my house for a beer..but he brought a cam with him and he asked me to play this song for him so he could tape it...

i hadn't played the song for a freakin long time so it was kinda fun trying to remember some parts while playing..

anyway..it was pure fun...just for fun...so for the same reason i posted this on this very forum...(the amp one)..fun..

do i need to have a purpose certificate,granted by the pope to make a freakin vid or clip without people bashing me??

so by seeing a single clip you guys think you know everything about my playing????

some more info..

just follow the link in my sig(yes its the same one with that vid....that meaning you could have done that already before predicting my past and future)and you will see that i'm simply into many other things...

anyway...

of course i'm not addressing this to all of you in here...the ones who deserve it know who they are...

thanks to the guy that made this thread and everyone that took time to watch it...

see ya,

Alex

I listened to your clips, and you don't need to address any of the clowns who rag you. Your chops, tone are right up there. I hate the random ass bandit who slag's someone like youself. You are an excellent resource for anyone in the guitar community. You have payed your dues, done your home work. Anybody who knows jack {censored} about guitar can tell that.

Ps. Great job on the Jeff Beck tune. It's one of my favorites, and you did it justice.

• Members

you guys are funny....

hmm...anyway..

some info...

some more info..

anyway...

see ya,

Alex

I KNEW I HAD SEEN THIS GUY ON THIS FORUM!!

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

He nailed the Yngwie tune. It's note for note.

There is so much more to this guy than this one clip. I think he was just screwing around when he recorded it.

Listen to his other stuff.

I think he's a damn good player.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by Crosscut Saw

Why would you knock this guy?

Because they couldn't pull it off if their lives depended on it? Because it's easier to ridicule than compliment? (shrugs)

• Members

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

I was at GC today and some kid was playing that same crap.

It get old very quick.

Not as quickly as petty comments like that.

:rolleyes:

Alex - Ignore the philistines brother. You just keep on playing. You've got more fans than detractors. I'd carry your guitars just to hear you play!

:)

• Members

Alex, I'm 42 and have been around and seen everybody who is anybody in this business accept Mickael Shenker and Jimmy Page the later of whom is washed up IMHO. You remind me of Ritchie Blackmore. he and Randy Roads are the more classicaly trained players I've seen. Most of the others were blues based accept Brian May. he is everything and anything. Randy being one of the best I've seen and happened to meet him. nice guy. The fast playing isn't my thing as sometimes it lacks feel. You, however, are a whole lot beter than I am, so good for you. Are the Brian More guitars good? I"ve seen Tommy Shaw with them. What amps are you diggin right now? I'm liking more and more distortion. Although I've got a jcm800 on the way I'm thinking of adding a soldano. anyway good luck. watching your band it is kinda off like that guitar player doesn't fit in with those other long hair hippie rock types hehe. honestly good luck dude. Dio is always looking for another guitar player.

• Members

thanks everybody for the comments..

i really appreciate the kind words...

of course i can always use some constructive critisism and not expect kinds words all the time...so thank you for taking the time to listen and give me your opinion...

i'm sorry for ranting yesterday...happens..i'm only human..

i still find some of those posts ignorant and annoying but i guess this will not make me stop playing or anything...

there's no point in trying to explain some things to others..this is the net..so rave on guys...

i just would like to wish em good luck to their involvment with music...and hope that bashing others is not their whole contribution to it...

we need as many musicians as possible out there guys...thats the only thing that will keep the thing we love so much alive through the years...

it's sad that guitar is a secondary instrument these days in music...there's something wrong in this whole picture.....

anyway..

take care everybody..

see you around.

Alex

• Members

Pretty much anyone can criticize, but if you want to do it, you ought to post a vid of yourself doing better. Me, even though it's not my favorite style of music, I think I'm going to go burn all my guitars, cause I don't think I'll ever be that good.

• Members

thanks everybody for the comments..

i really appreciate the kind words...

of course i can always use some constructive critisism and not expect kinds words all the time...so thank you for taking the time to listen and give me your opinion...

i'm sorry for ranting yesterday...happens..i'm only human..

i still find some of those posts ignorant and annoying but i guess this will not make me stop playing or anything...

there's no point in trying to explain some things to others..this is the net..so rave on guys...

i just would like to wish em good luck to their involvment with music...and hope that bashing others is not their whole contribution to it...

we need as many musicians as possible out there guys...thats the only thing that will keep the thing we love so much alive through the years...

it's sad that guitar is a secondary instrument these days in music...there's something wrong in this whole picture.....

anyway..

take care everybody..

see you around.

Alex

Anybody with a brain can see you can play the {censored} out of anything, doesnt matter if they like the genre or not, for me you have blown me away Im into blue/blues rock but got kids so have to listen to anything (mnm, 50cent):cool:

What I want to know (and dont take offence) how the {censored} with those chubby little fingers or are they just big long fingers :confused: can you play those scales and if BIG if I wanted to go down that route what should I be looking at to get me any where near (scales I mean)

• Members

Originally posted by swinglinecub

Pretty lame shred stuff, I had a bigger urge to close the window than to pick up my guitar while watching that. Bob Zabek, on the other hand, is truly something special (if you're looking for shred)

+1

Zabek sure is amazing!

• Members

BTW Bob Zambek is indeed a great player..

i have even made a thread for him in the amp forum

so others could hear his work and see him playing..

kinda goes to the things i was saying before...

anyway..

his website is thins for the ones that haven't seen him already...

http://www.bobzabek.com/

but for some reason it's down at the moment...

give it some time and try again...

see ya,

Alex

• Members

I just don't understand the "closemindedness".I am open to, and try to learn from just about every style and kind of guitar playing there is.There is plenty of room in my music vocabulary for "shred" , as a matter of fact after 25 years of playing guitar (self-taught) I am in the process of taking "shred" lessons from a graduate (and pretty {censored}-hot) player from GIT,and am having a blast. Oh,and a few of my favorite all-time guitar players are Billy Gibbons and Paul Kossoff (the original slowhand)........ not exactly "shredder's". Shred is really only a term, what the lesson's really boil down to is a lot of really interesting scales, arpeggio's and some really mind-blowing licks played all-over the neck and just really helps "technique". Actually they shouldn't call it "shred" guitar, they should call it "technique" guitar.Nothing wrong in having great technique in whatever it is you choose to pursue in life(not ignoring feel, just nice to have the technique if you "feel" like playing a particularly quick passage). The ultimate guitar player to me is the player who combines "feeling" and "technique" and I think we all know who some of those players are...................

• Members

Awesome chops to be sure. I really liked the funk and blues stuff more than the shred though...

Is Athens getting all polluted and congested with traffic? I used to go there to spend the summers with my grandmother in the early 70's and remembered it as beautiful. When I went again in the early 90's I didn't recognize the place. The islands still seemed cool....:cool:

Archived