Gretsch guys, help! (Hilotrons or Filtertrons?)

dazed1

• Members

Alright guys, I have caught the Gretsch bug fairly badly and need some input. I was thinking of getting a Tennessee Rose with a bigsby but I cannot decide which one to get- the '62 with Hilotrons or just the standard model with Filtertrons. My local shop has a '62 with the Hilotrons but not the one with Filtertrons. I understand that the Filtertrons are a little hotter. Anyone out there with experience with each one?

• Members

Originally posted by dazed1

Alright guys, I have caught the Gretsch bug fairly badly and need some input. I was thinking of getting a Tennessee Rose with a bigsby but I cannot decide which one to get- the '62 with Hilotrons or just the standard model with Filtertrons. My local shop has a '62 with the Hilotrons but not the one with Filtertrons. I understand that the Filtertrons are a little hotter. Anyone out there with experience with each one?

IIRC Hilo'trons are single coils and Filter'trons are humbuckers

look here for more info

• Members

I love both types of pups - check the specs further though - I believe one of the Tenny models has a 25.5" scale, and the other is a shorter 24.6" or so - going off memory here, but there are more differences than the pups and F-holes, IIRC

Gretsch used the HiLoTrons on lower cost guitars and the Filtertrons (and later SuperTrons) on the higher ups, traditionally

• Members

Originally posted by dazed1

What kind of music do you want to play with the Tennessee Rose? If you are wanting one to do Beatles music with then you want the one with hilotrons. If you want the more traditional Gretsch sound then go with the filtertrons.

Archived