strat type guitar for cheap?

zosoKing5

• Members

Originally posted by docjeff

Get a dent and scratch or second hand '05 Fender Standard Strat. I've seen a few of them for around $300 on closeout.

Or if you don't want to spend that much, how about a Squier Standard?

I second both ideas

• Members

hit ebay!

If - as JJ suggests - you're prepared to put your own together, ebay is an excellent source of parts for Strats..... you'll find a million and one Squiers and similar being parted out, along often with MIM stuff too. My recommendation would be to stick with a known brand like Squier or MIM Fender if you go this route, as that way sizing and parts are a known quantity - if you want to fit a better trem later on (for my money, the cheaper six post trems have better tone than the two post on the Squier std range, YMMV - if you're planning to block it, though, I was amazed at the improvement in tone when i blocked the trem on a Squier Std I'm working on as a project), it'll be a lot easier. You're also more likely, IMO, to get a better neck / body joint if you buy both sourced from one brand. Course, I've also seen great deals on the likes of Affinity Squiers on ebay.... one of those would be a great base for your project. Given too how good the trade is in parting these things out on ebay now, if you decided to upgrade machine heads, don't want the original plate etc, it's very easy to sell these parts on to offset the cost of the project. For a long time I have advised folks to keep all the original bits so they can revert to standard for resale, but as the market sits nowadays for Squiers where you can make more by parting it out, for as long as that trend stays around chances are that there's little advantage in hanging on to all the bits.

Keep an eye on going market rates (searching past auctions is useful here) and be patient, and then if you do get a body or a neck you don't like, it's easier to sell on again without losing money.

• Members

ive thought about that. i think im going to get a fender strat neck and a sunburst body. should look good with the 5 ply black pickguard i have. i wired 3 deymour hotrails and im in the process of getting new pots, not sure whether i need 500k or 250. the black gibson speed knobs look good too.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

hit ebay!

I'd think 3 searches and he'd be golden:

Strat project

Strat neck

Strat body

In addition to the other cheapies already mentioned, since I'll have my own hundred-bucker (as opposed to humbucker) en route any day, another option is used Peavey USA Predators. Dunno if the pickguards match up exactly w/Fenders though.

Also, iirc the Predators are poplar if that makes a difference. Fwiw I had a MIM Fender Strat that was poplar and it didn't sound any different to me.

BK

• Members

From what i can see, the only real difference poplar makes is that it's often not as pretty as alder if you're going for a transparent finish..... a lot of folks seem to diss it as somehoe inferior for no better reason than it's what they used to use in MIM fenders, i.e. their cheaper line (the thinking being 'it's what's on the cheaper copy, not "the real thing", therefore it must be inferior'). Some luthiers swear by it, claiming it gives a sweeter tone - Gordon Smith S-types are typcially poplar for this reason, I understand.

Archived