HELP: Noisy input jack!

• Members

Lately the input jack on one of my guitars is making an unusually loud humming sound. If I fiddle around with the cable a little bit, it'll either go away completely, or just keep coming back sporadically until I finally get frustrated and just plug in another guitar. I looked inside the cavity and all the wiring and solder connections appear to be intact, so I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any idea?

• Members

It sounds like it's just dirty. Contact cleaner should help. If it doesn't get rid of the problem entirely, bend the 'spring thingy' a little bit.

If that fails, you're only looking at a couple of bucks for a new jack and two wires to solder.

• Members

Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

I may just run out to ye 'ole Radio Shack and get some contact cleaner. I really hope that works. I'd hate to waste time and money getting it fixed.

A bottle of contact cleaner will probably cost as much as new jack.

• Members

Got some contact cleaner last night. Problem solved. :thu:

Thank God, too. Worst case scenario, I would have had to send my guitar back to Carvin to have it fixed under warranty (thus forcing me to deal with their hit-or-miss customer service :eek: ); either that or drop some cash into having it fixed locally because my soldering skills = {censored}. What a waste of time/money all that would've been... :freak:

But anyway, thanks dudes. :)

• Members

Rubbing alcahol on a Q-tip and plenty of work will usually clean up the contact points - also bending in the "springy thing".

The sandpaper will work if the cleaning doesn't, but it will leave exposed brass, that will tarnish and need recleaning faster.

At that point replace - unless this is a vintage something or other, in which case cleaning is the only solution (heh heh).

• Members
Originally posted by Eye_Of_The_Liger

Got some contact cleaner last night. Problem solved.
:thu:

Thank God, too. Worst case scenario, I would have had to send my guitar back to Carvin to have it fixed under warranty (thus forcing me to deal with their hit-or-miss customer service
:eek:
); either that or drop some cash into having it fixed locally because my soldering skills = {censored}. What a waste of time/money all that would've been...
:freak:

But anyway, thanks dudes.
:)

obviously what a local tech would charge to slap in a new 2 buck jack would have made a bit more sense than sending the guitar back to carvin, no?

2 wires, a couple bucks and less time required than it takes to heat up the iron to replace...bam, done.

• Members

Go to the WalMart Gun section and get a barrel brush (I think it's the .357 size, you may have to buy a few to figure out which one it is) and give it a good scrubbing.

I've used this for amps and guitars for a while and have actually "fixed" broken amps I found at pawnshops. It's pretty neat to find a decent amp at a pawnshop for hardly anything because it crackles and spits when you try it out and then you clean the input jack and it works great.

Archived