PC Recording: Using the EQ in the mixing board?

• Members

Hi all -

I just recently dropped some coin on a cheap Tapco mixer and I am starting to play around with micing my amp (Traynor YCV20). Have a few questions for the kind souls in the Studio Trenches:

- My signal path is Amp - SM57 - Mixer - Soundcard - ProTools M-Powered.

- When I played around with the mic setting, and listening in on headphones, I noted that a lot of top end was cut (tone seemed dull). I have the mixer EQ "centered" across the board.

- Is it preferable to set a flat EQ on the mixer when recording and EQ in the software?

- what are some good tips for mic placement and getting a good sound?

- How about isolation? One of the things I quickly figured out was that my set up is in one room. I am monitoring with headphones so that the my desktop speakers don't bleed into the track - is this even a concern with a SM57?

Let me know your thoughts peeps! I will check back later in the day.

DS

• Members

Well, you're just going to have to move the microphone around relative to the speaker to find a sound you like. The 57 is pretty classic, but it doesn't have the same top end ability as a human ear! Straight on, closer to the center of the speaker the sound will be a little brighter, more mellow towards the edge of the speaker, or off axis. Back off from the speaker just a little to minimize the proximity effect of boosting the bass frequencies.

I don't know if that particular board might color your sound. Usually you wouldn't EQ going to the recorder, but rather save the EQ processing for mixdown after the track is recorded. But if you feel like the sound is too dull going in, you could adjust the EQ as you record and then cut back later during the mix process if necessary. During mixdown, you won't be able to boost brightness if those frequencies aren't recorded in the first place.

• Members

I have a few tapcos at home and I tried using them to record a few times. I guess theyre better than nothing. I used them on drums a few times to but wasnt able to get what I wanted without mid controlls. If you have one thats not all beat up, Tapcos sound best for live vocals straight into a power head. The volume knobs take a big jump in DBs from 0~2. I think the settings for a flat signal on mine were with the trebble and bass turned nearly off. This meant running the mains high which introduces line noise.

I think they have an aux send that might tap the signal before the EQ.

I'd have to pull mine out of the closet to verify. If it does this would be the signal I would use for recording.

Otherwise getting yourself a better mixer or straight preamp to get the mike level to line level will capture more sound quality. As others have poasted, You want all of the mike signal captured, This way you have more to work with during Mixdown.

• Members

- How about isolation? One of the things I quickly figured out was that my set up is in one room. I am monitoring with headphones so that the my desktop speakers don't bleed into the track - is this even a concern with a SM57?

When close mic'ing an amp with a cardiod mic, bleedthrough won't be too much of a problem. But it's always better to turn your speakers off and monitor through headphones while recording.

• Members

Thank you for the tips everyone - I am going to do some more experimentin' tonight.

WRGKMC - the Tapco is actually brand new (built by Mackie in China), and seems pretty solid. It was either this or a Berhinger. :)

Thanks for the Mic placement tips Billster and albiedamned. :)

WRT to the peak light on the channel strip, is it OK if this is flickering when I am tracking?

• Members

Yea I remember now. I remember reading they were going to be making mixers again. Have no idea as to the quality. If they have a channel insert you should tap off it to record. this bypasses everything except the gain controll which allows you to adjust the level of the signal only.

Archived