Why do people black out serial numbers in eBay photos?

Tweedledee

• Members

Okay, I've wondered about this for a long time but I've never actually asked. Does anybody know why some sellers black out serial numbers when they put guitars up on eBay? There must be a legitimate reason because I've seen it several times. Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

if the # is visible someone can make a fake with that serial #, that finish, that pickup configuration and use the ebay auction as proof that it's real

+1. Instead of fake-guitar-makers having to make up random serial #'s to put on the fake guitars, they get to see an actual example of an existing serial number and they go from there.

• Members

Originally posted by Tweedledee

So if I'm selling a guitar on eBay, should I put up a photo that includes the serial number so that bidders know it's legit, or should I black it out to prevent people from using that number to make a copy?

Best to stear clear of the issue entirely if possible by simply not including a close up of the area w/ the serial.

• Members

Originally posted by Tweedledee

So if I'm selling a guitar on eBay, should I put up a photo that includes the serial number so that bidders know it's legit, or should I black it out to prevent people from using that number to make a copy?

Depends on the serial. If it's ones that shows when it was made, such as Ibanez or Gibson, leave those digits clear so that you can state "made in 2002" or whatever.

There's no reason to have the entire serial on show.

• Members

Originally posted by onbongos

black it out, research the model to see if the # includes any date codes, then you can say "serial number begins U97" or whatever

But you still run into the problem that anyone can say what a serial *should*be. That's why I advocate showing a partial.

Archived