Deciding on one guitar...

voneville

• Members

Imagine you're stuck on an island in the Med and you can only have one guitar. This is the real deal, not a troll what if thread. I'm preparing for my move to Sardinia and will only be able to bring one guitar. Of course I can buy more in europe once i get there, but I have to pay european prices and if those dudes are askin how they can hook up with a Agile I'm scared of what's available over there in my price range.

I need something that can do rockabilly, garage, blues, surf (with a tremelo) and punk (ala ramones). So somethine with P-90's would probably work best for me. Like JJ's SX, but not so gumby lookin!

I've also been thinking about a Strat. Out of my current collection I have a affinity strat that I like, only the nut is too narrow.

But I've been thinking about a Reverend, A Danelectro (no trem but I could live without it), a Jazzmaster, and possibly a thinbodied hollowbody with a bigsby type.

My budget is about 800 bucks.

My cheapskate side is saying Jay Turser Surfmaster and a MIM Tele and figure out how to bring two guitars with you...

My other side says Buy a MIA fender strat cause they're expensive

and they will only be more expensive when you get back.

What do you guys think?

• Members

I'd say a les paul with p90's. But i don;t know where you could get one at your price range, only one very low under your range, you probably want something higher quality, although agile quality may suit you well. And the other end of the spectrum is a true gibson. You could go with the MIA strat, not a bad decision at all. It will cover most of your rock needs. You could also try like an sg special, around 850. They are fairly nice guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by voneville

what do those run? looks fancy schmancy...

The prices on some of the websites are in the $2K range (way too much, IMO), but I saw the 49er listed for around 580 pounds sterling in England which is about $1000 in the US. So I'm kind of confused about the pricing of these Duesenbergs.

http://www.duesenbergusa.com/dealers.html

• Members

Well, maybe I sound like a broken record - I think the Music Man Axis (Super) Sport MM-90 fits the decription well. It's what I'd be taking if I could only take one.

The MM-90s have a not-quite P-90 sound that leans slightly in the direction of a Strat (but with a P-90's output level.) And look! Here's one for under $800. I think the $715 BIN is a decent price for the ash-bodied "Sport" model w/tremolo. The "Super Sports" with the maple caps are usually about $100 more. I have one of each. They're great guitars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7422386165

• Members

A Tele with a Bigsby (if you must have a trem). Otherwise, I'd definately look into a Reverend. They seem to have a diverse stable and most, if not all, of their guitars have the option of having a tremolo. They have some with filtertron type pickups, some with humbuckers, some with P-90's...take your pick! If I were looking for a new guitar, I'd be definately looking at Reverend. Plus, you'll get it for way under your limit. The only caveat is that they are not shipping until mid-July or August (depending on model/finish). If you're leaving before then, you're out of luck.

• Members

My favorite currently is my ESP X-tone PC-1. So many things about that guitar I thought I'd hate such as the body shape, the neck profile (its not like my Horizon) , the gold hardware, the ugly blonde/natural finish. But even with all those things I have been playing it the most and with flatwounds! Never had flatwounds before but I do dig them now! I love not hearing the "squeak" when you move your hands down the strings. Very resonate unplugged. I don't know why the seller sold it but I won't complain. Resale is pretty bad on them but they are very very nice.

• Members

You guys are bringing up lots of good idea's of things to look for. I'm going to shop around and my hands and ears will be the final judge. The Rev is a Contender for sure, but I'd like to play one first, they sound cool (from clips I've heard) and they seem like my thing based on descriptions. The Highway 1 Strat seems like a no-lose guitar too. And I've always fancied a P-90 SG with a Bigsby. Man, life's too short to own just one guitar :)

Archived