gibson les paul standard vs. PRS Ce24.

marloni

• Members

Originally posted by marloni

both guitars seem to be roughly in the same price range on ebay... which guitar has more value to it?

Colors? year models? I'd advise a search of completed ebay auctions for both...that should give you a pretty good idea....if I'm taking a guess, I'm betting the Gibbo will hold it's value better....

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

If they are both selling for the same amount... then they have the same value. Right?

they sell for the same price but doesn't mean that theyre same value. one guitar may have better resale value, overall quality/features for the money...

• Members

they both have a pretty good resale value, however in this particular case I would give the advantage to the Les Paul (assuming its a standard) since the CE is more of a "entry level" model, if you will.

Pretty different guitars though, buy whichever suits you best.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

they both have a pretty good resale value, however in this particular case I would give the advantage to the Les Paul (assuming its a standard) since the CE is more of a "entry level" model, if you will.

Pretty different guitars though, buy whichever suits you best.

What makes you think the CE is an entry level guitar?

I'm just curious because back in '93 when I was shopping for a Les Paul Standard, I ended up with a CE24 that was a far better instrument that any of the Les Pauls I played. I mean, it's a different beast, yeah, but other than being a bolt in neck, and a different wood combination, they are made exactly like PRS CUs.

FWIW, I just recently bought a Les Paul, and while it's a great guitar, the PRS still holds it's own against it after all this time.

• Members

And FWIW, if you buy either of them used, the major depreciation hit will be taken by the original owner, so both should hold their value pretty well. I would think, though, that the PRS should be a bit cheaper since the original price is quite a bit cheaper than a Les Paul.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

What makes you think the CE is an entry level guitar?

i actually think that's PRS fault. there's not much of a marketing slant, but it is there. then there's the buyer perception that bolt on = entry level. set neck and neck thru models still have a higher perceived value.

• Members

Originally posted by No Soul

the CE is perceived as an entry level model because its cheaper.

Simple as that, doesent mean it isnt as good etc etc

Maybe...but I don't consider any guitar that fetches $1000+ an entry level guitar. Now, I would consider the PRS SEs the entry level for PRS.

Anyway, I'm not getting my panties in a wad or anything...was just curious about the 'entry level' thing.

• Members

Maybe...but I don't consider any guitar that fetches $1000+ an entry level guitar. Now, I would consider the PRS SEs the entry level for PRS.

Anyway, I'm not getting my panties in a wad or anything...was just curious about the 'entry level' thing.

I dont either but its funny what marketing and peoples opinions will do.

For instance the les paul studio is by all means considered an entry level guitar, yet it retails for $1280, the SG standard does as well but is not considered entry level. Heck the $800 SG classic is not either. Neither is a $950 MIA strat.

The CE 24 is considered entry level because its one of the cheaper of the really nice PRS. People assume its not as good because it costs $200 less:freak:

Either way, I would personaly go for a CE-24, I think they are fantastic guitars and I actualy still want one, and if all is well I will have one in the next 2 years or so. Nothing against the standard but its the very fact that the CE is considered entry level that makes it a better value. Everyone knows the standard gets a lot of markup because of "prestige" attached to it, while the CE is actualy marked down because it lacks the prestige of the higher end PRS with birds etc. So while you are getting the same great PRS quality, you are just paying less for it.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

For instance the les paul studio is by all means considered an entry level guitar, yet it retails for $1280, the SG standard does as well but is not considered entry level. Heck the $800 SG classic is not either. Neither is a $950 MIA strat.

Yeah, but a LP Studio is an entry level guitar. ;)

Prestige is in the binding...and apparently in the case of PRS, since there is no binding, prestige is in the glue that holds the neck on. :thu:

Oh well, I love my entry level PRS. :)

PRSA1.JPG

• Members

i'd say that a good les paul > any ce24.

that's just my opinion.

the problem is finding a good les paul. i haven't played a prs that wasn't top notch quality. i've played a bunch of les pauls that were dogs.

between the two, prs don't have much soul or character to the tone. they're a little too smooth for me. i sold my ce24 and bought a rick 360. it's a different beast, sure, but it has more personality in it's first fret than my prs had total.

again, not bashing prs - this is just my opinion. and opinions are like assholes - everyone has one, and most of them stink. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by rydia_is_hot

i'd say that a good les paul > any ce24.

that's just my opinion.

the problem is finding a good les paul. i haven't played a prs that wasn't top notch quality. i've played a bunch of les pauls that were dogs.

between the two, prs don't have much soul or character to the tone. they're a little too smooth for me. i sold my ce24 and bought a rick 360. it's a different beast, sure, but it has more personality in it's first fret than my prs had total.

again, not bashing prs - this is just my opinion. and opinions are like assholes - everyone has one, and most of them stink.
:thu:

its the pickups. change the pups, and IMO a PRS will blow an LP out of the water every time. while i understand what PRS was going for with their super hot pups, with todays high gain equipment its simply not necessary.

• Members

Yeah, but a LP Studio
is
an entry level guitar.
;)

Prestige is in the binding...and apparently in the case of PRS, since there is no binding, prestige is in the glue that holds the neck on.
:thu:

Oh well, I love my entry level PRS.
:)

PRSA1.JPG

I gotta get some of that magic MOJO glue PRS uses then:eek: I can cover all my gear in it, then watch out! I will have so much mojo, it will be unreal!:D

Sweet guitar by the way:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

damn, youre soulfully challenged, you might as well shred then, its expected of you:)

let me buy a bunch of rack gear first, and then load my guitars with nothing but DiMarzios, then we will see. :p

I do have an old 7 string Ibanez arround here somewhere...

Archived