Sanding down the finish on the neck...

ZielGuitarist

• Members

I've noticed that on both my PRS CU22 and my Schecter 006 elite, that the finish sticks to my hands when I'm playing. It's really slowing me down and riffs that are easy sitting down, seem hard to pull of standing because of the different in hand position. I was thinking of sanding the finish on the backs of the necks down to almost a satin finish, something really smooth, but not sticky....any tips, hints, advice?

Jordon

• Members

I`ve used Scotch Guard pads on some of mine. I removed the necks and tuners... I know not possible with PRS... take off just enough finish to make it smooth and quick and leave the finish on the front of the headstock and fretboard. After playing for a while it back of the neck gets shiney and really quick... too bad my fingers ain`t but never mind.

• Members

What about baby powder? like for pool ques? the steel wool might work good also.

I remember when i first came here i was sanding my necks down to the wood and some one mentioned the finish is there to protech it from moisture and that was somthing i over looked. Over time it can eventualy go bad.

So dont sand to much off like i did.

• Members

i don't like finished necks either. the painted one's on my jackson's aren't too bad....but they do become gunked up from sweat or the like(a little polish goes a long way).

i sanded down the backs of the necks with 0000 steel wool(000 works well also) and i'm satisfied with how they feel after that.

• Members

Lemon oil treatments will keep your fret board in great shape and also slick up that the neck and help avoid sticky spots.

If you've got a PRS - dude don't sand it....unless it's an SE then by all means sand the crap out of it.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

What about baby powder? like for pool ques? the steel wool might work good also.

I remember when i first came here i was sanding my necks down to the wood and some one mentioned the finish is there to protech it from moisture and that was somthing i over looked. Over time it can eventualy go bad.

So dont sand to much off like i did.

Like the episode of friends were Ross wears the leather pants. YOu might make PASTE!

• Members

I was going to say take it down to the bare wood on the PRS, but that's a mahogany neck-OOPS. Splinters galore.

You could take some ultra-fine sandpaper (like 2000 or 3000 grit) and lightly sand until the gloss is gone from the finish, or until it's "satiny" enough for your preferences.

• Members

Well iw asnt thinking all the way down to the bare bones, ya know? My brother has a satin finished Schecter 006, the older model ones, and the neck is just perfect now. Slippery as all hell, ya know? I think I'll try the steel wool idea. I'm not worried about {censored}ing up the resale value, as this is not a guitar I'm planning on selling....ever.

I think I'll try the 000 and 0000 steel wool on the Schecter first, see how that turns out, then if it's to my liking move to the PRS. Not matter how much I clean and polish the necks, they are always sticky....i hate that!

...Looks like I'll be buying the satin Singlecuts from now on eh?

Archived