Low-Watt MADNESS!!!!!

CrackerD

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by docjeff

Is that a VC508? I have one of those with an oak cabinet (seriously, it was OEM solid oak) from the mid-late 90's. I haven't played it enough, but when I do I always think, damn, that sounds great. I've recorded with it quite a bit over the years, and I put a Celestion V8 speaker in mine. I think it came with a Jensen.

crate1.jpg
crate2.jpg
crate3.jpg
crate4.jpg

I had to velcro the back on to keep it from acting like a sounding board on an acoustic guitar. By the way, I paid $220 for it brand new from AMS.

yea, mine is a VC-508.

A nice little amp for sure.

I kinda had my eye on yours, when i saw it in a thread you posted in January asking whether you should keep it or not. Even sent you a PM, but you never answered.

But I am glad I got the one I did, since I travel to friends houses to play. If you would have taken me up on my offer, I would have been afraid to take that nice oak cab out of the house for fear of banging/scratching it up.

That is really a great looking amp, docjeff ! :thu:

• Members

My low wattage amp is a Champion 110 brain in a cab with a 12" Eminence. It rocks, and when my son's other guitar-player blew his 5150, he borrowed my Champ and poswered his 5150 speakers - this little thing really screamed and did some great distortion for the new alternative-punk-whateveritis that they do.

• Members
Originally posted by CrackerD

Hey, I remember talking to you about this one!! The Tone Tubby looks awesome! I want one bad..
:cool:

Yeah, you're in the bay area too right?

Tone Tubby is great, but it was a LONG wait to get it in.
I think it was the 1x12 cube cabinet that did it as they had
to order it.

I also got a Traynor 1x12 Cab so I could use one for the
Boogie Mite and one for the Bivalve.

Recently, I saw a Mesa Boogie combo I'm kinda gassing
for. I think it was a 1x12 and it was switchable between
5/15/30 watts. It was in an all polished wood enclosure.
I can't remember the model now and can't find anything
on Mesa's site. Anyone know what it might be?

• Members

Isn't that 'Made In Britain' Gibson a rebadged Trace Elliot Velocette?

My own low watt amp (stashed safely away while I demolish half the house) is a blackface Vibrochamp. If it had reverb it'd be my ideal amp, and my Deluxe Reverb reissue would be up for sale.

• Members

Originally posted by andthenurse

Isn't that 'Made In Britain' Gibson a rebadged Trace Elliot Velocette?

My own low watt amp (stashed safely away while I demolish half the house) is a blackface Vibrochamp. If it had reverb it'd be my ideal amp, and my Deluxe Reverb reissue would be up for sale.

Have you tried outboard reverb effects through your Vchamp? I use a Yamaha DG Stomp for reverb through my Champs, and find the results quite satisfactory.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSteed

Yeah, you're in the bay area too right?

Tone Tubby is great, but it was a LONG wait to get it in.

I think it was the 1x12 cube cabinet that did it as they had

to order it.

I also got a Traynor 1x12 Cab so I could use one for the

Boogie Mite and one for the Bivalve.

Recently, I saw a Mesa Boogie combo I'm kinda gassing

for. I think it was a 1x12 and it was switchable between

5/15/30 watts. It was in an all polished wood enclosure.

I can't remember the model now and can't find anything

on Mesa's site. Anyone know what it might be?

Yeah, east bay. I think I recommended the TT cab! I have heard a few and think they sound killer. Takes a while to break-in from what I have heard, and sounds better the more you use it. Any truth to that??

The Mesa you are speaking of is the Lonestar Special! I am gassing for one, too. Awesome amp. Last time I was at Guitar Center ElCerrito they had one or two. They were not the custom wood cab, but just the standard.

• Members
Originally posted by nothingstock

My low wattage amp is a Champion 110 brain in a cab with a 12" Eminence. It rocks, and when my son's other guitar-player blew his 5150, he borrowed my Champ and poswered his 5150 speakers - this little thing really screamed and did some great distortion for the new alternative-punk-whateveritis that they do.

Cool little amp!:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

Here's my half-watter, or at least what's inside plus an L-Pad for a master volume control. It has 2 stages of gain for clean to crunch and aggressive clean to in-your-face high gain distortion...

Cigar_Box_Amp_Wired2s.jpg

Mine is in the box to the right...

Premium_Cigar_Boxes1s.jpg

Awesome!!:eek:

• Members

Yeah, east bay. I think I recommended the TT cab! I have heard a few and think they sound killer. Takes a while to break-in from what I have heard, and sounds better the more you use it. Any truth to that??

The Mesa you are speaking of is the Lonestar Special! I am gassing for one, too. Awesome amp. Last time I was at Guitar Center ElCerrito they had one or two. They were not the custom wood cab, but just the standard.

Not sure about the breakin I doubt I've used it enough to
break it in much. Does volume affect how long it takes to
break in? I don't play it super loud. But, it's still very pleasing
to my ear :)

Yeah Lonestar Special. I looked again. What threw me off
was the custom cab. I had to take my Alembic back to
Guitar Showcase for a fix and they had the Lonestar
Special Custom Cab there for $2100. When I pick up my
guitar I might just give it a whirl and pull the trigger :)

• Members
Originally posted by MrSteed

Not sure about the breakin I doubt I've used it enough to

break it in much. Does volume affect how long it takes to

break in? I don't play it super loud. But, it's still very pleasing

to my ear
:)

Yeah Lonestar Special. I looked again. What threw me off

was the custom cab. I had to take my Alembic back to

Guitar Showcase for a fix and they had the Lonestar

Special Custom Cab there for $2100. When I pick up my

guitar I might just give it a whirl and pull the trigger
:)

Sweet! I saw a Lonestar special over at a shop in Dublin that was a black leather 4x10 combo! It was big and heavy, but sounded REALLY cool.
Where the hell is Guitar Showcase???

• Members

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor

Are any of these low-watt amps high gain? Or does anyone know any kits that are low-watt high gain?

Maybe try BumBox amps. They used to make one called a FuzzWuzz or something like that. I think it was high gain.

I just use pedals for mine. Also the attenuator helps to fry the tubes a bit.

• Members

Sweet! I saw a Lonestar special over at a shop in Dublin that was a black leather 4x10 combo! It was big and heavy, but sounded REALLY cool.

Where the hell is Guitar Showcase???

San Jose. GREAT shop.

Lots of very nice Fenders and Gibsons. And of course Alembics

which, when I tried a Further for the first time, might possibly

be the best guitar I've ever played.

They have loads and loads of really nice vintage stuff. A lot of

which isn't for sale.

• Members

The Bumbox is a custom thing Nate put together -- it's switchable between 1 and 15 watts so I can either record quietly or play in a smaller venue, though I've been running it in stereo with the Valve Jr., and the two amps together get to be too loud for late night recording.

Bumbox rules!

• Members

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor

Are any of these low-watt amps high gain? Or does anyone know any kits that are low-watt high gain?

My CigarBox amps are two channel... One is low to medium gain and the other is aggressive low to in-your-face high gain. Just throw a switch to go between the two. You control the amount of distortion with your guitar's volume control. Run into a Carvin British Series 1x12 open-back, it covered Nugent's Stranglehold effortlessly... It will drive a 4x12...

• Members

I couldnt get my pics to load properly so heres my hasty and crude attempt to show my gear!

My 'Student' setup:
Gear.jpg

just got the vox this morning. i tried it against a load of other amps in the store, but this one just stood out. beautiful clean tone for such a small budget amp. :)

Archived