Why do people ask for advice...

voneville

• Members

And then argue with the advice or opinions presented? Are they loaded questions? Is this the definition of a troll? Such a strange phenomonon amoung forums.

What is the best way to clean a maple fretboard? (Got to make sure I'm staying on the topic of Electric Guitars here). I have my own opinion, but I want to tell anyone with a different opinion they are wrong and stupid and their choice of guitar sucks.

:p

Oh, and happy fathers day to all the Mother F'ers out there!

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

And then argue with the advice or opinions presented? Are they loaded questions? Is this the definition of a troll? Such a strange phenomonon amoung forums.

What is the best way to clean a maple fretboard? (Got to make sure I'm staying on the topic of Electric Guitars here). I have my own opinion, but I want to tell anyone with a different opinion they are wrong and stupid and their choice of guitar sucks.

:p

Oh, and happy fathers day to all the Mother F'ers out there!

well, i know what you mean because I've seen it happen, but *sometimes* the person doesn't know why someone says something so they want so more info. Like if they say "this product sucks" that doesn't really mean anything. Is it your opinion? Is there really something wrong with it?

• Members

on a more serious note...

I was enlightened many years ago when a band i was in hired someone to critique us from the point of view of an audience member and as a possible label executive. We paid this guy alot of money to do this and he had pevious experience with successgul groups so we said, "Why not?"

As he was going over each criticism of our looks, tone, movement, song choice, etc... we were arguing trying to defend why we did what we did.

He stood up calmly and told us in a very polite manner and calm, quiet voice, " it is not for you to protest or defend what i am saying. It is your position to sit and be still and learn from what i am saying." We looked all shocked... Then he said; "You hired me to show you what you are doing that is wrong or incorrect. It is not polite to argue my points because you are paying me to do this. Be still, and learn, and argue among yourselves when i am gone."

It took me a little while to understand back then that what this very polite gentleman was saying is that you dont argue when you ask for an opinion. It is something that was requested and given and you should show respect to the one asked by not saying THEY are wrong.

So when you ask for an opinion, shut the F&$# up and listen!

:p:D:idea:

• Members
Originally posted by StratKat

on a more serious note...

I was enlightened many years ago when a band i was in hired someone to critique us from the point of view of an audience member and as a possible label executive. We paid this guy alot of money to do this and he had pevious experience with successgul groups so we said, "Why not?"

As he was going over each criticism of our looks, tone, movement, song choice, etc... we were arguing trying to defend why we did what we did.

He stood up calmly and told us in a very polite manner and calm, quiet voice, " it is not for you to protest or defend what i am saying. It is your position to sit and be still and learn from what i am saying." We looked all shocked... Then he said; "You hired me to show you what you are doing that is wrong or incorrect. It is not polite to argue my points because you are paying me to do this. Be still, and learn, and argue among yourselves when i am gone."

It took me a little while to understand back then that what this very polite gentleman was saying is that you dont argue when you ask for an opinion. It is something that was requested and given and you should show respect to the one asked by not saying THEY are wrong.

Man! That was well-said! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by StratKat

All true.

And telling this to your wife the next time she asks your opinion will result in sleeping on the couch.

• Members

Especially on internet forums, I don't think people ask a question to really get an answer. I think they ask questions in the hopes of reaffirming their own opinions/points-of-view. When someone answers with something contrary to or in conflict with their prior inclinations, they then feel they have to justify the way their side. The truth is: black guitars play better than red ones. You just can't argue that. It's one of Newton's laws. The downside is that red guitars get more chicks. It's one heck of a conundrum.

~Jeremy

Archived