Anybody play a Strat with a Warmoth Boatneck?

• Moderators

The boatneck is a full 1" thick at both the 1st and 12th fret. it's just that Ive noticed since I've gone up from a Wizard II to a stock Strat C to my current Strat neck which is a tad bigger than 59 Roundback that my hand is getting comfier. I dont have especially big hands but fat necks seem to feel better. Anybody else had a similar thing?

• Members

The Warmoth that I assembled for my brother has the vintage boatneck. He likes thick necks and is very pleased with it. It has the 7 1/2" radius, which works very well for him since he doesn't do much lead work.

I wish I had a better photo of it.

• Members

I find my MIA Strat can be uncomfortable to play for hours at a time. Back when it was new, in 1994, they built them with a 43mm nut (still do, IIRC) but a fairly shallow C. I must prefer a vintage style thicker C neck for comfort, and I love the soft vee on a cheap Strat copy i bought 18 months ago. Actually, I'm currently collecting bits for a 50s style Strat project.... I badly want a soft vee neck for it, but I can't find any such thing left handed in the UK..... considering one of these Warmoths, but scared off by the price (bearing in mind i can't try before i buy....). What were the normal thicknessed of the Fender soft vees at the nut?

• Members

Originally posted by El Glom-o

The Warmoth that I assembled for my brother has the vintage boatneck. He likes thick necks and is very pleased with it. It has the 7 1/2" radius, which works very well for him since he doesn't do much lead work.

I wish I had a better photo of it.

Interesting design..... what does the third knob do? I'm presuming there a tone and a volume, but can't figure the third knob in a single pup set up?

• Members

I put together a project Strat last year specifically for the purpose of having a Warmoth boatneck. I bought a MIM Strat, sold the electronics and neck on eBay, put in a set of VN's and mounted the boatneck. It's an awesome guitar. After playing "standard" necks for 30+ years, I've reshaped my entire guitar collection in the last two years to include almost exclusively guitars with thicker necks. I find I can play faster and more effortlessly with them. The boatneck and the neck on my Gallagher are the two thickest, then the Epi SG, followed by the EJ Strat and the EVH.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Interesting design..... what does the third knob do? I'm presuming there a tone and a volume, but can't figure the third knob in a single pup set up?

Knob closest to the strings is volume.

Next knob is standard Fender treble roll-off tone control,

Last knob is Torres "Mid-boost" control.

Selector switch selects which tone control is in the circuit.

Neck position = Fender tone control

Mid position = Both tone controls together

Bridge position = Torres "Mid-boost" control

Volume knob has a push/pull switch.

Knob in = Tone controls as selected by selector switch

Knob out = Bypass all tone controls

• Members

A few years ago, my friend put a boatneck strat together. After playing that guitar, I was hooked. It just feels like you have a little more leverage there when chording (especially barre chords.) I had an eighties japanese strat that I rebuilt with a maple fatback neck which I shaped into a softer V neck. I love it. I may shape it further while keeping the thickness.

Archived