Has anyone ever carved a guitar out of a single piece of wood?

deva_da_man

• Members

Has anyone ever done this?

What i would call a 'billet' guitar. (not sure if this term only refers to metal work or not)

I realise it would be very wasteful, and isn't practicle, etc, and would require some very trickey drilling 4 the trussrod. But still would love to see one if it's ever been done.

If one were done, my guess would be all maple, or all rosewood.

• Members

Originally posted by deva_da_man

Has anyone ever done this?

What i would call a 'billet' guitar. (not sure if this term only refers to metal work or not)

I realise it would be very wasteful, and isn't practicle, etc, and would require some very trickey drilling 4 the trussrod. But still would love to see one if it's ever been done.

If one were done, my guess would be all maple, or all rosewood.

why all maple or rosewood?

those are both VERY dense woods

the guitar would weigh a fucking ton and you would probably destroy your tools

is it because you want the fretboard to also be part of the guitar? (instead of glued on)

you'll prolly see one made out of mahogany with a rosewood fretboard glued on before one made out of solid rosewood or maple

but why? :confused:

• Members

is it because you want the fretboard to also be part of the guitar? (instead of glued on)

Yes, so i mean an entirely one piece guitar.

but why?
:confused:

Just for the uniqueness factor, i wouldn't ever want to buy/make one really, i'm just interested to know if it's been done.

I've seen a bass made from one bit of mahogany. No truss rod. Seems to be fine.

pics?

• Members

Originally posted by air guitar

I think a neck through body wings would be more stronger and stable.

definitely

Ive seen a single piece bass before as well.

as Ive been told you have to be very very very very picky with your wood selection for these types of thing, not just for tone, but because the chances of warping/twisting are much higher.

• Members

I think that Parker guitars makes some "supreme" version of their Fly guitar that's gut from a single piece of mahogany or maple...butit has a fretboard attached.

Personally I think it's impractical because of cost and chances of warping. There's really no upside other than uniqueness. Don't kid yourself that it will somehow sound better.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

I think that Parker guitars makes some "supreme" version of their Fly guitar that's gut from a single piece of mahogany or maple...butit has a fretboard attached.

Personally I think it's impractical because of cost and chances of warping. There's really no upside other than uniqueness. Don't kid yourself that it will somehow sound better.

All the Fly models were 1 piece bodies with a basswood neck glued on.

• Members

yes, it's been done.

In todays wood market, it would be rather hard to find a piece with grain structure good enough, over an entire piece that large.

total waste of time and money.

but if you want to pay me what it would cost..

I'll build it for you.

• Members

I remember in an old issue of Guitar Player (going back about 20 years), there was an article on strange guitars and one of them was a 60's (?) guitar made out of one piece of wood. It was a small scale guitar with a single pickup. Looked kind of cool actually.

Archived