Loose nut on new guitar... send it back?

joegrant413

• Members

Last week I bought my 11 year old son a BC Rich Warlock for abour $170 at Guitar Center. Wasn't my first choice for him, but he really like it's looks. What can I say? :rolleyes:

Anyway, today I got around to putting new strings on it. All of the strings except the first were taken off, and the plastic nut comes off and flies across the run.

I put the nut back on and finished the stringing. I know it's not glued or fastened, but it seems like it's fairly stable in there.

So... should I return the guitar? Should I have them just fix it (I'm assuming the nut isn't supposed to fly across the room!), or should I insist on another guitar?

BTW, it would be tough to tell my kid that he couldn't get a guitar that looks like this.

Later,

-- Joe

• Members

If it plays fine, then keep it and fix it as other posters have advised. Going back to Guitar Center to exchange a guitar with a small problem is like exchanging a winning lottery ticket because you wanted to win more. Except without winning anything either time. :D

• Members

I would give it the once over and if there are no issues, just drop two small dots of elmers on it and either clamp or restring depening on if string tension it keeps the nut in flush.

as far as not agreeing with your son's taste....would you really expect to?

• Members
Originally posted by k4df4l

I would give it the once over and if there are no issues, just drop two small dots of elmers on it and either clamp or restring depening on if string tension it keeps the nut in flush.

as far as not agreeing with your son's taste....would you really expect to?

+1 Glue it and string it up.

• Members

Originally posted by bigconig

Your nut flew across the room. . .
:D

Yeah, and on a Saturday afternoon with the family too.

Based on what you folks have to say, I'm going to do indulge my lazy instincts and keep the guitar as is. Right now, it seems to be holding in place pretty well.

For the next re-stringing, I'll get some Elmer's to make the nut stays where it's supposed to.

Thanks!

-- Joe

The only other thing that bugs me about the whole thing is whether or not you can do expect GC to do a reasonable set-up by a tech on the guitars they sell. As you can guess, none was done on this Warlock last week, nor on the American Strat I bought 6 years ago. (However, my Strat has always been in great shape.)

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

The only other thing that bugs me about the whole thing is whether or not you can do expect GC to do a reasonable set-up by a tech on the guitars they sell. As you can guess, none was done on this Warlock last week, nor on the American Strat I bought 6 years ago. (However, my Strat has always been in great shape.)

GC does not do ANY setup work an ANY guitars - this is apparently by design. This would raise both their base and marginal costs, and since most of their purchasers don't know the first thing about a properly set up guitar, they would be wasting money. [The vast majority of their guitar sales are to beginners or hackers who never seriously pursue the instrument.]

If you want a properly set up guitar, buy it from a good local dealer with a good tech. If you don't mind doing the setup work yourself, you can pay a bit less at GC. If you don't know the difference, then you can start posting on HC about how great your Agile is, and why nobody should EVER pay more than $500 for any guitar.....

• Members

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

... If you don't mind doing the setup work yourself, you can pay a bit less at GC. If you don't know the difference, then you can start posting on HC about how great your Agile is, and why nobody should EVER pay more than $500 for any guitar.....

I've had later setup work done both on my Strat and my Agile. With the Strat, I also had the tremolo blocked since I've rarely used it. And, yeah, I *am* pretty happy with my Agile! But I'm more a single-coil Strat guy.

-- Joe

Archived