Best amp set up for around or under $400?

Excelsior

• Members

Okay, so Guitar Center has a special going on, 15 months no interest. From what I heard on the radio, it seemed to include amplifiers.

I have this {censored}ty crate amplifier I have to get rid of [it's dying :p], and this just opened up a good deal of amplifiers to me.

I'd be willing to spend up to $400 or so on a NICE amplifier set up, or a cheaper one with a few accessories. I hope to also buy a cheapish acoustic electric for $300 or so, spending $700 total.

That's freakin' 46.666 a month for payments. Aka, $23 out of each paycheck.

I can definitely swing that. I've only been playing since January, and I'm not planning on preforming until I can play much better than I do now, but I do want to invest in the best I can get in this price range. If you can recommend a good decent acoustic electric guitar in that price range as well, cool... However, primarily, I need some input on the amp.

If I can't decide on an amplifier then I'll just get a cheapo Behringer GM110 [people here seem to like it well enough] and a nicer acoustic electric, or a few extra toys.

Thanks,

Ex.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my experience, there are two kinds of amp worth getting

Cheap, small, good sounding practice amp that you can use for small jams and trips.

And

Big powerful halfstack that you will never need to upgrade for extra power.

A good halfstack can be had for $1100, at the cheapest ( thats second hand head and Avatar cabinets ). Don't bother spending less as you will be disappointed.

However a good sounding practice amp can be had for as little as $125.

I always recommend three different amp series that sound good and have good bang for the buck.

Line 6 Spider II 15W

Vox Valvetronix 15W

Roland Microcube ( Microcube if you want battery powered portability )

They all sound good and cost not many dollars at all. Don't bother buying a heavy 2x12" combo as it will not be powerful enough for gigs ( meaning you'll have to spend MORE money to get a halfstack ).

EDIT: About the acoustic electric, I've always been impressed by Ovation. Good sound for the money.

Also, this line made me laugh:

I'd be willing to spend up to $400 or so on a NICE amplifier set up, or a cheaper one with a few accessories.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Excelsior

Okay, so Guitar Center has a special going on, 15 months no interest. From what I heard on the radio, it seemed to include amplifiers.

I have this {censored}ty crate amplifier I have to get rid of [it's dying
:p
], and this just opened up a good deal of amplifiers to me.

I'd be willing to spend up to $400 or so on a NICE amplifier set up, or a cheaper one with a few accessories. I hope to also buy a cheapish acoustic electric for $300 or so, spending $700 total.

I can definitely swing that. I've only been playing since January, and I'm not planning on preforming until I can play much better than I do now, but I do want to invest in the best I can get in this price range. If you can recommend a good decent acoustic electric guitar in that price range as well, cool... However, primarily, I need some input on the amp.

If I can't decide on an amplifier then I'll just get a cheapo Behringer GM110 [people here seem to like it well enough] and a nicer acoustic electric, or a few extra toys.

Thanks,

Ex.

What music do you play?

• Members

Originally posted by VoodooChild24

What music do you play?

Nothing metal :p

So far I've just been playing a lot of random rock. Hendrix, Offspring, Who, Alice In Chains, Queen, Savatage, Soundgarden, Rage, Sabbath.

Nothing wankerish with gain all the way. Also I have been trying out a good deal of acoustic songs and clean tones, and when practicing I play clean usually, even on a song normally played with distortion just because distortion covers up my mistakes so I can't really hear what I'm doing at times.

• Members

Nothing metal

So far I've just been playing a lot of random rock. Hendrix, Offspring, Who, Alice In Chains, Queen, Savatage, Soundgarden, Rage, Sabbath.

Nothing wankerish with gain all the way. Also I have been trying out a good deal of acoustic songs and clean tones, and when practicing I play clean usually, even on a song normally played with distortion just because distortion covers up my mistakes so I can't really hear what I'm doing at imes.

Ok, i was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I was really looking for a decent amp at GC. I was choosing between LINE 6 vetta, VOX AD series and Rolang Cube. But i'm glad i didnt buy a modelling amp, and settled for a second hand F-100. My point is...sooner or later, you would like to upgrade to a tube amp and your ears will know the difference between SS and tubes. Especially since you will be hanging out a lot here in the amp forum......im sure a SS amp will be out the door in a few months.

I suggest if you can stretch your budget a bit and go for a Fender Hot Rod Dlx ($550), or maybe a Peavey classic (30W) ($350-400) all tube amp. You won't regret it i assure you.

Just use a distortion pedal to beef up your dirty channel.

Goodluck on your amp search and feel free to PM me for advice!

• Members

What kind of music do you play? What are you hoping to get out of the amp? Give us a little more details, and it'll help narrow it down.

Be carefeul with those GC deals too..... depending on the deal, if you don't pay off the entire balance, the interest will be charged retroactively from the time of purchase.

• Members

Ok, i was in the same boat as you a few years ago. I was really looking for a decent amp at GC. I was choosing between LINE 6 vetta, VOX AD series and Rolang Cube. But i'm glad i didnt buy a modelling amp, and settled for a second hand F-100. My point is...sooner or later, you would like to upgrade to a tube amp and your ears will know the difference between SS and tubes. Especially since you will be hanging out a lot here in the amp forum......im sure a SS amp will be out the door in a few months.

I suggest if you can stretch your budget a bit and go for a Fender Hot Rod Dlx ($550), or maybe a Peavey classic (30W) ($350-400) all tube amp. You won't regret it i assure you.

Just use a distortion pedal to beef up your dirty channel.

Goodluck on your amp search and feel free to PM me for advice!

How about http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

?

I can't find the classic 30 on MF's site, so I assume GC wouldn't have them?

The deluxe is $600, unfortunately, from MF :( Looks a bit out of my league.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

Would the AD50 be that bad to my ears down the line? Do I really /need/ a tube amp? :p

I'm unsure personally, that's wh yI'm asking here :D

• Members

How about
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

?

I can't find the classic 30 on MF's site, so I assume GC wouldn't have them?

The deluxe is $600, unfortunately, from MF
:(
Looks a bit out of my league.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

Would the AD50 be that bad to my ears down the line? Do I really /need/ a tube amp?

I'm unsure personally, that's wh yI'm asking here
:D

Go for the Peavey Valveking if i were you. Looks like an awesome amp to me. Like i said earlier, modelling amps sounds to "digitized" to me. My advice to you is go for a tube amp. You will never regret it. :thu:

• Members

I have this {censored}ty crate amplifier I have to get rid of [it's dying
], and this just opened up a good deal of amplifiers to me.

Thanks,

Ex.

i'd get a tube amp, and skip the pedals, and skip solid state amps. i'd go for the fender blues junior with the footswitch.

• Members
Originally posted by Utero

Crate tube amps are nice and they are in your price range. I say go for a Vox AD50VT it's a nice, versatile amp.

The Vox has a very nice variety of sounds including 11 amp models and 11 effects. It can cover all the groups listed and it also takes pedals very well...:thu:

• Members

GC doesn't normally carry Peavey (at least around here they don't) and that is probably why you haven't seen the Valveking. I would say the VK is a great amp for you or maybe a used Classic 30. You might need an eq pedal for the Classic 30 to the darker AIC or Soundgarden type tones. The VK is also supposed to see a benefit from a new speaker but YMMV

• Members

Hey guys,

I've only been playing since January,

6 MONTHS. He doesn't need an all tube amp. He doesn't need amazing tone.

No offense meant of course, but you have a lot to learn before you know what you want in an amp. A cheap Vox, Line 6, or Roland Cube will be a great practice amp for you and will carry you far, and when you get into gigging/jamming, you can still use that smaller amp for practice.

In the mean time, experiment, research, and find what expensive amp you want.

The Vox AD15VT would sound GREAT for what you want, and it costs like $200.

• Members

My point is...sooner or later, you would like to upgrade to a tube amp and your ears will know the difference between SS and tubes. Especially since you will be hanging out a lot here in the amp forum......im sure a SS amp will be out the door in a few months.

This is not entirely a given. I've been playing since the late 70's and currently own a few Soldanos but find myself quite satisfied with the solid state XXL 212 from Peavey. I've owned countless tube amps and while they certainly have their pros, they also have their cons. For example, I sold a rather fantastic-sounding Ampeg VL-503 simply because it was so expensive to continually repair. I know many players currently touring that use solid state amplification and walk away from each gig quite satisifed with the results. The tone gap has closed considerably between a great solid state and a good tube amp. It's certainly much closer than it was in the 80's but to assume there is a logical progression that begins with solid state and ends with tubes is incorrect. Frank Gambale seems to be doing quite well with his solid state Carvin setup. There are countless others.

Don't get me wrong, I love my tube amps but when left to ears only, the number of players who could successfully differentiate a great solid state tone from a tube tone (if all other factors were equal) narrows with each uptick of technology.

If memory serves me, I recall owning a Yamaha DG-80 and often times other guitarists would come up to me and ask, "what tubes are they using in that thing, it sounds phenominal!"

FWIW, I'll throw my recommendation in and say the Peavey Valveking 112 is a fine tube-amp (as are the V-series from Crate) but since GC doesn't carry Peavey, I'll recommend the Palomino V16.

• Members

Originally posted by Maxx61

FWIW, I'll throw my recommendation in and say the Peavey Valveking 112 is a fine tube-amp (as are the V-series from Crate) but since GC doesn't carry Peavey, I'll recommend the Palomino V16.

I definitely agree, I was really impressed with the V16 I played with in the store.

Archived