Advice on Songwriting Contract / Agreement

• Members

Hi there

Just wondering can anyone advise - we're releasing debut EP and want to cover off who gets what re. songwriting royalties.

Is there a template anywhere or does it have to bespoke??

Do we need a solicitor? Or can we just do one ourselves (from a template) and everyone sign it?

What happens if we don't sign do one? For example, I do most of the songwriting - but if nothing is signed legally is everyone then entitled to the same size slice ? And what about people not in the band who've helped out on other instruments for the recording??

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction...

Thanks!

• Members

Are you in the U.K.?

Different in the U.S. We have Performance Rights Organizations (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) that we go thru that when we pay them, they ask the songwriting breakdown for each song. And that is usually what is held up in court if there ever is a problem.

• Members

Hey Crayon,

Your PRO would be IMRO (Irish Music Rights Organization). You can check here to see if you qualify for membership. http://www.imro.ie/content/join-imro

I would imagine they'll have similar writer forms as ASCAP and BMI. This can be complicated if the entire band collaborated with the songwriting. However, any songs you personally wrote (100%) should be listed with you only as the writer.

The songs that were collaborations can be split down the middle, or negotiated (percentage-wise).

Be tactful; this kind of activity in a band can be destructive.

Best, John :)

Archived