Wal Mart selling strings?! WTF!

Excelsior

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

Cheap Crap they provide?

They sell the same 'name brand' motor oil, oil filters, spark plugs, dog and cat food, electronics, etc., as everyone else.

I visit WalMart once a month or so, and that's the kind of stuff I buy.

Where I live there is one grocery store, one 80 year hardware store, a lumber yard, and one gas station (well two, if you count the local 'quick stop' 7-11 type store).

BatMan can verify that fact, as he has been through my little Mayberry hick town.
:thu:

There is nowhere here to shop locally, but I guess I could make the 150+ mile round trip to visit stores in south Kansas City.

The round trip to the nearest WalMart is only 60 miles.
:cool:

Hard to support your local Mom & Pop stores when there isn't any, and no, it's not because of WalMart, at least not in this area. LoL

Well, I'm happy for you and your situation. I still think Wal-Mart sucks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by IRG

Except for the fact that Walmart is well known and numerous lawsuits against them for their predatory practices. See they might be able to sell strings for $3.49 because they only paid $2 for the orginally, while mom and pop who don't buy in volume, are forced to pay $3 for the same set of strings (insert almost anyproduct here). They are not competing on an even playing field. If you don't mind your local businesses closing down, enjoy Walmart. But when I can, especially my favorite hobby, I will try my best to support my local independent dealer.

I have bought a guitar from MF, but I now support my local dealer. Not much more $, but their service is great, and their trade in deal is original price -$50 on another guitar of higher value. I bet GC doesn't do that. And Walmart?

The car thing has me though....I have a Toyota and a Ford at the moment. I can't compare them because of a 10 year age difference, but the Toyota does have very nice quality. I want to buy American though, and I will keep looking.

A car costs so much more than guitar strings. Why didn't you buy American?

I like fresh guitar strings. And at the prices walmart offers they should be very fresh. A lot of time the strings at the mom and pop stores are old and dead sounding. I love GHS strings. If walmart has them at a good price I'll buy them there. I don't have a problem with that. And GHS strings are made in the USA.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

• Members
Originally posted by EADGBE

I like fresh guitar strings. And at the prices walmart offers they should be very fresh. A lot of time the strings at the mom and pop stores are old and dead sounding. I love GHS strings. If walmart has them at a good price I'll buy them there. I don't have a problem with that. And GHS are made in the USA.

Is that really the proper tube amp portocol?

• Members

Unfortunately, the greed of others using it wrong has almost destroyed the world. I think?

Wrong. The people controlling and limiting capitalism have almost 'destroyed the world'.

If there were pure capitalism in America, we'd have a less corrupt government, much less jobs would get exported, and cheaper prices/better products all around.

• Members

is there any mom and pop shops open 24 hours?

do they make donuts? can i get some steaks and hotdogs while i'm there buying strings for my guitar at 3am?

i guess thats why i go to walmart.

i live 1/2 mile from a super walmart. best time to shop there is after the gig on the way home.

if i need a set of strings, then i buy a set there. same as cd-r, dvd-r. you'll be hard pressed to find them cheaper.

especially when its 3am.

you wouldnt catch me in a walmart during the day.

oh, by the way....they are selling 80 gig western digital hard drives for $59.95. i bought 2:wave:

i still have enough cash to go to Micky Ds and get a value meal:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by EADGBE

I like fresh guitar strings. And at the prices walmart offers they should be very fresh. A lot of time the strings at the mom and pop stores are old and dead sounding. I love GHS strings. If walmart has them at a good price I'll buy them there. I don't have a problem with that. And GHS strings are made in the USA.

Wait, you do realize by buying from Wal Mart you're putting those "Made in the USA" type botiques out of business right? Wal Mart pressures smaller business suppliers to make their products for much cheaper, forcing them to cut profits, wages, and benefits. Watch one of the documentaries about Wal Mart. If you're so "patriotic" you wouldn't be happy about Wal Mart. Not to mention the Wal Mart factories which are overseas that house thousands of employees in poor conditioned warehouses.

• Members

Originally posted by leftyjay

you wouldnt catch me in a walmart during the day.

oh, by the way....they are selling 80 gig western digital hard drives for $59.95. i bought 2:wave:

i still have enough cash to go to Micky Ds and get a value meal:thu:

$60 for an 80GB drive ain't cheap.

• Members

as for my groceries, i am not going to pay the prices of the local big chain grocery stores if i can get the same thing at walmart for less. i can spend less money to get the same stuff. thats a no brainer.

• Members

its getting late.... think i'm going to run down to the "24 hour super-walmart" and pick me up a french bread pizza and a bottle of sprite. maybe a pack of reeses at the checkout counter.

i think i could use another set of strings (just incase).

i know my mom and pop music shop will be closed before i head out to my gig saturday evening. they keep bankers hours.

• Members

Before you buy anything for your guitar from wal-mart simply ask your local mom and pop guitar store if they will match the online or wal-mart price. I bought a Jamman from MF but then the next day I saw it downtown on main street at the little music store for the same price (well after I asked what the real price was). Guitar store guy said he would be happy to try to match MF's prices.

• Members
Originally posted by leftyjay

as for my groceries, i am not going to pay the prices of the local big chain grocery stores if i can get the same thing at walmart for less. i can spend less money to get the same stuff. thats a no brainer.

In all reality you save roughly 3-12 dollars for every 100 you spend, the average is about 4-6.

Once a week, if you spend 100 (probably for a family of 4) on groceries, you may save $200 a year.

You just need to decide whether or not it's worth it- your $4 a week for the treatment of {censored} to vendors, suppliers, and employees, an offset cost to the government (passed on to taxpayers), from a monopolistic company, not to mention the countless other problems that arise with wal mart.

I work in a grocery store, DO NOT QUESTION MY AUTHORITAY!

sp3025.jpg

Archived