I finally figured out how to play some slide...

voneville

• Members

And have since become an open tuning fan. I've known about the basic concept and have had some success in the past with open tuning, but nothing really came out "musical". I think because I was always trying to open tune to the 7th instead of just E-major. So I tried just open tuning the D-G-B-E to an e major. I was using a socket wrench extension as a slide. I started really getting the feel for it. My bastard tele with the p-90 is a mean slide guitar. I guess it helps me to play slide in the lap position. Also, using a guyatone fuzz with the drive all the way rolled off gave it a really cool bluesy dirty tone.

Yea, lots of fun today :) The side thing is that I've been playing for 15 years but I've only tried to learn how to play "lead" in the last year. I know this is basic stuff here. But I'm having fun.

• Members

open G is good - so is open A. I still use an old George Dickel whiskey bottle neck I crafted years ago when the glass was good (the Geoge Dickel 12-year old whiskey was mighty fine too). I've got my Clapton Ticket already for Oct. 21st here in Jacksonville - supposedly Derek Trucks and Robert Cray are with him - really like to see Trucks play some slide.

• Members

I made a slide out of a wine bottle but the edges are a little sharp. Adds "mojo" to my slide playing. If I wasn't so lazy I'd finish it. I like the wiskey bottle idea. I have a bottle of makers mark I need to finish. That might work good.

• Members
Originally posted by BlackHatHunter

I am watching the Derek Truck Band as I type this on HD. Hell of a concert, great band, and that kid did not fall far from the family tree! Great stuff. I would love to catch him live.

Always frustrates me to see someone my age play so much better then me :) Oh well, I'm sure I'm a better welder then he is :) That guy is bad though. I dig his slide and his finger picking technique is freakin awesome.

Archived