DeVocalizer

• Members

Thanks for the positive input.....

My neice is practicing her vocals and she's aware that the center part of the mix will be cut out.....she's only interested having a bit of control over the recorded vocals.

If you know of any software, it'll be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

Thanks for the positive input.....

My neice is practicing her vocals and she's aware that the center part of the mix will be cut out.....she's only interested having a bit of control over the recorded vocals.

If you know of any software, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Try inverting one of the tracks and summing to mono. If you want to get fancy, try cutting some mids (in the vocal range) afterwards.

Doesn't work that great (neither does a plug), but at least it's free.

Maybe the coming release of Melodyne (which can separate piano notes from a single track) can be used to build a better vocal eliminator. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

You can buy karaoke versions of most pops song quite cheaply -- those are a great solution for teens wanting backing tracks to sing over. Some of them, Sunfly comes to mind, put out some decent sounding product...

http://shopuk.sunflymusic.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1

As for the debate about devocalizing, I agree with the posters -- ain't going to happen in any meaningful way from standard CD tracks. Some eggheads argue that wavelets will swoop down and deliver us from the perils of fully vocalized music but I have my doubts...

That said there are a few apps around that attempt it -- results range from poor to middling. AnalogX comes to mind as one who used to offer a freeware devocalizer -- but I can't speak to the quality of it:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

• Members

I have AnalogX and it works.....rarely.

I have several clients that are "track singers" (they HATE being called Karoake singers)..and do it for a living.

I am always trying to remove vocals and sometimes it works and usually it doesn't. I have found the center channel remover in Adobe Audition to be as good as it gets.

The biggest problem is reverb tails that are nearly impossible to remove.

And summing a stereo track to mono will remove the entire track, music and all.

I have had songs on the same CD work while most of the others don't so it depends on how they were recorded in the first place.

The easiest answer is that it can't be done..

Archived