OT - update on my fathers cancer

fishfartz

• Members

some of you may remember I posted a while back about finding out about my dads cancer

lung cancer, smoker for a long time.

so its been slowly but surely getting worse, by the time the doctors even knew he had cancer he was already stage 4 (already spread to other parts, pretty late as far as the progression goes), and today after a few months of serious testing and treatment they told him they expect he has 4-6 months with no further treatment - maybe 3-4 more months longer if treated aggressively with chemo

he has really slowed down lately. 3 years ago when my mother found out she had pancreatic cancer it was less than 6 months when she passed, and it was a horrible, painful and somewhat slow death for her considering the pain and circumstances

I hope he does not get that bad, or anyone else for that matter. the things we had to do with my mother - i do not wish that on my worst enemy

with my mother - she had not been to the doc in years, she always felt fine. her normal everyday pains started getting worse but she assumed it was her arthritis acting up, then one day her eyes were yellow (jaundice sp?) and we took her and thats when we found out. from then it was close to 6 months.

now with my dad - he is a disabled veteran (viet nam), he got hurt in the war but continued to work until he fell off a ladder in florida maybe 10 years ago. but since then he has had regular doctors visits with the VA clinic - regular bloodwork/etc - but they never suspected anything till now - when the cancer is this advanced. they told him he has had emphesema (sp?) for a long time, but they never discovered that either.

so I guess what Im trying to say is alot of times its too late to really treat the cancer by the time its found, because its sometimes not found until there are physical signs and its so much easier to treat if they discover it early. i do wish there were better ways to catch the cancer early, so many more could be saved.

so try to keep that in mind, you can never know if you will get it. my mother never smoked and died with pancreatic cancer - my dad always has and gets lung cancer. so even though you may get it anyway - if you smoke STOP! you may have children one day who would rather have you around to a ripe old age, and not know when death is coming.

i do believe in God, and I know the doctors dont always know exactly when one will die - but they were spot-on with my mother (they guessed 6 months) but my aunt had a brain cancer and was expected 1 year....its 4 years later and shes fine.

so if you pray, say a prayer for some comfort in my families time of need. if not send some good thoughts, it will be well recieved.

anyway - no need to slow down the forum for this, you can get back to gearin' it up I just wanted to share this with you all

• Members

I don't pray, but consider this "send good thoughts".

And that is a good message you provided especially to the youngins here.

One of the things young people don't know is that your fifties and sixties come sooner than you think. And although young people may not worry about dying at that age, they need to also think about the diminished quality of living that smoking will bring you in your thirties and forties.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at around 40. Now I'm on 3 medications for it that have some mild but unpleasant side effects.

Point being, better to stay away from the tobacco habit to enjoy a better life.

Good luck with your Dad.

I lost my Mother when she just turned 60. I know what it's like to lose family a bit too soon.

My wife is a cancer survivor. I didn't like seeing what she had to go through either. But she's 3 years past her original diagnosis and she appears to be okay for now.

Best wishes.

Archived